Everything Instant On

• 1.  Managing two Sites in the same Location:

Employee
    Posted 12-10-2019 07:50 PM
    • When there is a requirement to create two Sites in the same location, we have to create two different VLANs and map it to two different sites respectively.
    • It is expected behavior, that we cannot create multiple sites for the APs in the same VLAN

For example:

Let’s say there are two AIO devices connected in VLAN 10 and these two devices are added to the site “SITE-1”. In this case, we cannot create another site “SITE-2” by connecting the third AIO device in the same VLAN 10. This is because the APs in the same broadcast domain will operate as a single cluster and the third AIO device will try to join the existing APs on the same VLAN. Hence, The third AIO device can only be discovered through the site “SITE-1”.

#ArubaInstantOn
    #Site
    #vlan

• 2.  RE: Managing two Sites in the same Location:

Posted 12-11-2019 04:53 AM

Im looking at replacing a Wi-Fi system on site that has 23 Access Points at the moment, which is close to the limit of 25 APs in AIO.

I was hoping that it I could use a second site to increase the number of AIO AP's that we could have to increase coverage if we reached the 25 AP limit.

I was hoping that I would be able to have multiple sites in the same location, with the APs all in the same management VLAN behind the same internet router.

I might need to rethink using AIO...

• 3.  RE: Managing two Sites in the same Location:

Posted 09-11-2020 08:34 AM

Hello, I need to have an network with n.25 ap11 and n.3 1930-24 switch.
    Since the maximum number of APs per site is 25 devices (ap_ion + switch_ion) I have to do TWO site, even if I would do one network.
    So how do you suggest me to devide the 28 devices? #1 Vlan = 25 aps and #2 Vlan = 3 switches?
    which problem/limit I'll have for managing the whole network? Just I'll not see al devices in a network and I'll have to move from one to another network? Or more other issues?
    Thank You!

• 4.  RE: Managing two Sites in the same Location:

Employee
    Posted 09-11-2020 11:10 AM

@Frankstrong For site #1 you could put 12 AP's and a switch all in one VLAN if you need multiple VLAN's on the switch you could create them. At site #2 put the remaining 13 AP's in a different VLAN and the 2 remaining switches in the same new VLAN. If these two networks are going to use the same SSID when going between the two networks the clients with re-authenticate to get a new IP address. Make sure you have a router that supports all the VLAN's you will be creating. 

• 5.  RE: Managing two Sites in the same Location:

Posted 09-14-2020 07:41 AM

Hi@GThiesen, I understand your answer, but I have some questions:

a. Can I put all the 25 APs in the same Vlan#1 (and in Site#1) and put the remain 3 switches in the other Vlan#2 (and in Site#2); so the clients have never to reauthenticate (all APs are in the same VLan).
    Can this configuration works fine?

b: Vlan#1 and Vlan#2 are the management Vlans? Can I use a differend (for instance Vlan#3) for Production traffic (tagging Vlan#3 in all APs)?
    In other words, in YOUR case (Vlan#1 = 12Aps +1 switch - and Vlan#2 = 13Aps +2 switch) can I tag the Vlan#3 for Production traffic, so thet clients in all wireless network never re-authenticate when they move from ApS in Vlan#1 to Aps in Vlan#2?
    Thank You for your time!

• 6.  RE: Managing two Sites in the same Location:

Employee
    Posted 09-14-2020 02:00 PM

@Frankstrong Yes you can create a site with all 25 AP's so you don't have to re-auth and then create a new site with the switches.

On B: This would work, however caching is different between the clusters and when moving from one to another they most likely be an interruption of service.

So your best option would be to go with A:, however, no room from growth at the site if they needed it. So the potential of looking into Aruba Instant our Enterprise line might be a better fit.