Mesh?

axthemax
Contributor I

Mesh?

I am wondering how exactly mesh works. I have all APs connected to PoE/Ethernet at the moment - but how would mesh networking configure itself? If I connect another AP just to power and not to Ethernet, which band would be used, how much bandwidth will be available to the clients etc. ? What are the implications on the rest of the (wired) network?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Employee
Employee

Re: Mesh?

@axthemax When the AP is powered on it will broadcast a mesh SSID and the one plugged in would receive the request and the two would start communicating via 5Ghz. The Clients and the Mesh would share the channel and depending on how busy the network is would have little impact between the two AP's and have no effect on the wired network.

0 Kudos
chrislund
Occasional Contributor II

@GThiesen, is meshing strictly over 5 GHz (vs also 2.4)?

0 Kudos
Employee
Employee

@chrislund Yes only 5Ghz

0 Kudos
BartT
New Contributor

Is it possible to do 2 mesh hops in a coverage, outdoor environment if Ethernet cabling is not an option? In other words, can I use an AP11 or AP12 wired and then connect via MESH an AP17 and then behind that AP17 another AP17? Again this is an coverage network (garden) not a capacity network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee
Employee

@BartT Yes, this is typically not recommended, however possible but you lose 50% bandwidth per hop with a max of two hops and max of 8 children(points) to a portal. 

WinlyChan
New Contributor

How to setup mesh 2 hops that you mention. i tried to setup mesh 2 hops. Third AP alway try to find first AP(Master) that it out of coverage area then Serial number not show on App. How to set up Third AP find second AP. Thank you Master AP11---Mesh 1 Hops--> AP11(Second AP) -----> Mesh 2 Hops --> AP11(Thrid AP)
0 Kudos
Employee
Employee

@WinlyChan Try bringing your third AP back close to your Master AP for discovery and once it gets discovered move it back to being the third hop away.

0 Kudos