Everything Instant On

• 1.  Traffic/bandwidth Shaping

Posted 08-29-2019 11:11 AM

Is there currently a way to apply bandwidth limitations or any traffic shaping for the guest network? Or any of the other employee networks? Need to prevent users on the guest network to eating up the bandwidth of the more important work network.

• 2.  RE: Traffic/bandwidth Shaping

Posted 08-31-2019 12:21 PM
    @derrick New firmware bandwidth limiting is now available in v1.2.0 you can shaping by SSID also Guest network and rates available for limiting are 1,5,10,25 Mbps and Unlimited.

• 3.  RE: Traffic/bandwidth Shaping

Employee
    Posted 09-01-2019 12:06 PM

@derrick Bandwidth limits are done on a per-user. 

• 4.  RE: Traffic/bandwidth Shaping

Posted 09-03-2019 09:38 AM

@GThiesen 

Here is the issue that causes for me....

I dont know how many users are going to be on the guest network. At church I have a guest network and a private network and we have a 200Mbps circuit. I need to prevent the guest network from taking all the internet bandwidth from the private network. Setting the "per client" bandwidth limitation does not help me if 200+ members connect to the guest network.

thanks!

• 5.  RE: Traffic/bandwidth Shaping

Posted 09-03-2019 10:08 AM
    Derrick, That's going to be my use-case too (a church). I've been playing with InstantOns at home and came up with the following solution. My firewall can do policing (a Fortinet). It can do outbound and inbound policing. I can put the AP source IPs (not the client IPs) in a traffic shaping policy. My test I limited all AP source IPs to a hard limit of 10mb. I can then either remove the per user limit or set it to one of the available options.