Instant On - Wireless

• 1.  AP15 heat dissipation needs?

Posted 11-15-2019 08:20 PM

How much condioned air do these things need to prevent overheating or is that not even a real concern?  Can I put them in sealed PVC jboxes or in sealed recessed plastic ceiling boxes designed for other AP manufacturers?  Maybe laying on top of a sheet rocked ceiling with fiberglass insulation laid on top?  These things are kind of objectionable looking with the surface mount system provided so between heat dissipation requirements and radiation patterns I'm trying to run through all options based on lefitmate information not speculation. 

• 2.  RE: AP15 heat dissipation needs?

Employee
    Posted 11-18-2019 11:47 AM

@VAV  The AP15 should be kept within the operating temperature (+32° F to +122° F). Making sure the AP is properly ventilated will ensure that is will not overheat.

• 3.  RE: AP15 heat dissipation needs?

Posted 11-18-2019 06:41 PM

I guess I should have read that spec myself.  Ideally I would put all APs where they are would work and function the best but these mounts kind of suck.  In high end residential these will never go in a finsihed, used room so in order to sell them we have to be creative.  If they were flush mounted to the ceiling like most other brands there would be a better chance but not with these stand off mounts.  I'be more apt to use the dropped ceiling bracket on a sheet rock ceiling then the mount sent for that purpose.  In high end even flush mounts are difficult to place the AP near where they would work the best.  I don't even think these would fly in most commercial jobs either. 

These recessed trim rings are pretty nice, could be slimmed down a bit and if they were available for $35-$55 each that would be a good value but in this link they're way too expensive.  IMHO it would be smart for Aruba to work or attractiver installation options

https://static.graybar.com/content-resource/pdf/1042-ap315-oberon-wireless-25925321-spec-sheet-sku-spec-sheet/202e26b85b12a11a7388b1714140a0ac-1002388.pdf

• 4.  RE: AP15 heat dissipation needs?

Employee
    Posted 11-21-2019 12:46 PM
    Hi Ideally there should be enough open space around the AP to allow for airflow to cool the back. There is plenty of thermal margin, but covering the unit with fiberglass insulation is definitely not a good idea. We test the APs inside various enclosures as well, and that’s generally ok. But it depends on ambient temperature (max will be lower than what applies to the AP by itself) and the size of the enclosure. Re-iterating Greg's reply, please make sure to keep the AP within the operating temperature

• 5.  RE: AP15 heat dissipation needs?

Posted 11-21-2019 05:24 PM

I have here one of each ION model online in test...... and with exception of the AP11D all the devices It gets very hot!

This is normal?
    All the back of this device is  heat sink?