Chromecast Intermittent

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

Chromecast Intermittent

I use AP11 running on OS 2.0.1. SSID employee, unrestricted access. Is there additional configuration to run chromecast / screen mirroring from android smartphone to MiTV on AIO?

I did run chromecast smoothly on previous AP (another brand).
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor I

Re: Chromecast Intermittent

I'm using a chromecast and several chromecast capable devices with instant On APs (Wired and Meshed)

The models I use are AP15 and AP11d and I didn't need to configure anything to make it work.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

What visibilty control do you use on AP15 and AP11D?
When I use "Application activity summary", chromecast running well and smooth.
But when I use "Application details" (this is default value), chromecast become intermittent.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor I

I used it with Application details before v2.0 and it was running fine.

Since a while I use Application activity summary.
So i didn't use Application details with v2.0 so far.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

Hi @Ibeme ,

I already tried it several times switched from "Application Details" to "Application Activity Summary".

The issue is sure from "Appilcation Details (default)". And in application details is show as "Uncategorized Application" in chromecast traffic. 

hopefully Aruba Instant On will fix it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor

Here are also problems with Chromecast.

I have one AP11, version 2.0.1.

Android phone (Xperia L1) and the Chromecast (2015) connected to the 5GHz network. The 'Visibility And Control' setting is set to 'Application activity summary'.

Sometimes I have to press the Cast-button at least 5 times or restart the app, i.e. Youtube or Netflix. With my work phone (Samsung A8) or the wife's phone (Motorola) I am getting the same experience.

Something (the AP11?) is blocking broadcast/unicast/multicast traffic?

I'm thinking of getting two AP11's more, but if this issue is not resolved, I will have to reconsider.

A full-fledged modified IAP firmware is also welcome. Smiley LOL

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor I

@PD2JK I too am having issues with my Chromecast devices since the introduction of firmware v2.0.0 / v2.0.1 - Chromecast uses two different discovery protocols: mDNS and DIAL, all the mDNS applications seems to work good, but the services that use DIAL: Youtube, Netflix, Chrome are intermittent. I have two AndroidTV devices (2019 Nvidia Shield) and they randomly appear and disappearing as casting targets for those services.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor

@scott83
Yep, those issues sounds familiar.
Now we'll have to sit and wait?

Maybe an Aruba technician/representative would be kind to respond. Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee
Employee

We apologize for the issues our customers have reported recently with Chromecast devices. Our engineering team is investigating and we will provide updates as they are available.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee
Employee

@Feri Instant On 2.0.2 was released yesterday. Have it a try and let us know how it goes with your chromecast. Thanks!

0 Kudos