Instant On - Wireless

• 1.  Problem with range/roaming with two AP11

Posted 09-10-2020 09:15 AM

I have two AP11 accesspoints; one in my livingroom and one in the attick. They replace two Unifi AC-AP's. I replace the Unifi setup because the AP's needed a regular restart.

They connect to a 1Gb FTTH up/down... 

On the Wifi I have about 28 devices connected. Approx 13 Shelly devices, 3 ipads, 2 iphones, 1 apple TV, 2 android phones, 2 google mini's, 3 Nest firealarms, 1 Nest doorbell - and of and on 3 laptops

on the network also connected a hue bridge, a sonos boost, a NAS

The AP's are not within 5 meters of any other wifi device (like the Sonos Boost), nor near devices that can cause interference like microwave, electrical pumps or such...

There are several recurring issues:
    - the Google Nest app almost always complains about not being able to connect to the Nest service. When it connects it often looses connection again. I did not have this problem with Unifi and not when i connect over 4G.

- my iPhone 11pro often experiences disconnects - especially when walking from one AP to another. The disconnect is that long that conversations over Teams or Netflix or alike break down. Most of the times the phone switches over to 4G....  even though i am standing within 5m of an AP11. 

- my Apple TV that has a line of sight with one AP11 has bandwidth issues - streams break down and pause. 

- the range of the AP11's is bad - compared with the Unifi devices. 

I am willing to invest in a good wifi, but i am doubting if adding an additional AP will solve my problems. Especially since the connection to Nest server and the problems with devices that are close to the AP's exist.

Any tips to tweak the wifi more to get better performance? Or should i reconsider the AP's? 

• 2.  RE: Problem with range/roaming with two AP11

Employee
    Posted 09-10-2020 11:16 AM

@Yarko  Please reach out to support to assist in troubleshooting your issues.

https://www.arubainstanton.com/contact-support/ 

• 3.  RE: Problem with range/roaming with two AP11

Posted 09-12-2020 11:03 AM

Contacting support was not really helpful. Got a very generic answer with some hints. To check cables, change location, etc.. including explanation to stick to automatic channel selection...

then when i confirmed that met all requirements as far as i knew i was told to manually switch channels (even though first advise was to stick to automatic). 

Asked if there were more ways to troubleshoot - answer was no. Trail and error with the channels for one day was the best advise. No way to check logging or otherwise.

Ended with:

Hari G (12-9-2020 16:34:38): Apologize for the inconvenience. We do not have any further option for coverage

So i will have to do with an appology i guess? 

Not sure what to do now? ask for a refund? 

• 4.  RE: Problem with range/roaming with two AP11

Posted 09-28-2020 07:17 AM

Hi,

Maybee the distance between the 2 AP is to short, so that clients are to switching over and over again.

Be also shure that you are didn't using channelbonding in 2.4 frequenzies,1 bonding with 6 and also 11 is bonding with 6. So there is an overlapping in the channel 6

regards

• 5.  RE: Problem with range/roaming with two AP11

Employee
    Posted 09-10-2020 06:49 PM

@Yarko 

You provided a lot of information already, but I will ask for a bit more.  I have installed a number of sites already and I have not noticed the behaviors you described, but also curious to know if others here have.

Considering the solution has automatic upgrades, I have to assume you are running v2.1 on the APs, but you can check to be sure.

Also, you can see the tx power used by the AP, visible in the inventory.  Since you are reporting a range issue, that may help to see if there is a link with the radio tx power setting, which is set automatically.

Finally, check your AP placement, considering the antenna patterns are optimized for ceiling mounted or wall mounted APs.

Are your APs wired or is one of them meshed?

• 6.  RE: Problem with range/roaming with two AP11

Posted 09-12-2020 09:33 AM

Hi, thanks for your reply..  Smiley Happy

Both AP's are running v2.1 - yes... 

AP in living room iswired at 1Gbps/full
    2,4Ghz rado channel 11 at medium (19.9 dBm), currently 13 clients, busy 18%
    5Ghz radio channel 52 at high (22.6 dBm), currenlty 10 clients, busy 1%

AP in attic is wired at 1Gbps/full
    2.4Ghz radio channel 1 at medium (19.7 dBm), currently 7 clients, busy 10%
    5Ghz radio channel 149 at high (26,7 dBm), currently 0 (zero) clients, busy 1%

The AP's are wall mounted. Cannot find in specs how radio radiates - so no idea if this causes problems.

To is looks weird that when i open Access Point details for Attic, under the heading connectivity it says  "uplink Living room" and vice-versa.. .don't see what this means..

Attic.png

• 7.  RE: Problem with range/roaming with two AP11

Posted 11-02-2020 09:17 AM
    Problems occur on devices only in 5G range or in 2.4G too?
    Try to search patterns for AP303, i think AP11 same as 303. Because my 11D exactly same as AP303H