Instant On - Wireless

• 1.  Remote sites solution

Posted 08-04-2020 10:06 AM

Good day,

I'm looking for a solution to deploy and manage remote sites. We need to connect with an Access Point to an already existent router and be able to remotely manage those APs.
    I already tried the Aruba Instant On solution and it works great. My concern, however, is that if by any reason the router (which I have no control over) reboots/goes offline/etc the AP stops at once from emanating the WIFI signal until the router gets back online, while it is vital that even with no internet access, the AP wifi lan keeps working normally, so that some handheld devices keep comunicating between them.
    From my understandings I would need a gateway to be connected between the Router and the AP, but that would result in a way too complicated scenario.

The question is: how can I have the AP keep transmitting the wifi signal without the need of an external gateway?
    Please remember that I cannot access the configuration of the router.

Thank you very much,

P.Guarini

• 2.  RE: Remote sites solution

Employee
    Posted 08-04-2020 03:12 PM

@pierluigi The AP's will still broadcast the SSID and if the router only loses internet connectivity your local traffic will still communicate as your local LAN is still active and working. If you lose power to the router then no traffic will pass as most likey that is your default gateway. And like you stated you could put an AP11D in router mode and make that your gateway to your ISP router and then you have control of the LAN if the ISP router goes out.

• 3.  RE: Remote sites solution

Posted 08-05-2020 08:52 AM

Good day GThiesen,

Thank you for your kind reply. Unfortunately what you said does not translate to reality: if for example I disconnect the cable connecting the AP to the router, once everything is already configured and working, then something quite strange happens: the devices connected to the AP Wlan lose the connection, the SSID disappears, reappearing for one or  two secs every 20 secs or so and after a minute or so, the Wifi led goes off and the "i" led turns orange. Once you plug the cable back in, everything returns to normality.

I need the AP to behave like a standard home router, which still broadcasts his Wifi Lan no matter what. I already tried both the APIN0303 and the APINH303 and none of them behaves like I need, they both cease to broadcast once disconnected from the ISP router.

Have a nice day,

P.Guarini

• 4.  RE: Remote sites solution

Employee
    Posted 08-05-2020 11:28 AM

@pierluigi Disconnecting the cable from the AP puts it in search mode for Over the Air(Mesh)and will search for an AP that is wired into the network. If the ISP router just drops the internet all SSID broadcasts should still function normally assuming the gateway is still powered on. IF this is not the case then please reach out to support to assist in troubleshooting.

https://www.arubainstanton.com/contact-support/

• 5.  RE: Remote sites solution

Posted 08-06-2020 05:09 AM

Hi again and thank you for you replies. As you said, once I disconnected the cable on another point on the lan, the AP lost the internet connection but kept transmitting the Wifi signal. Nice.

The problem now is that the AP behaves oddly: i left the AP overnight disconnected and indeed it kept going on, but once I replugged everything, the AP took some time (a very long time actually) to pass from the disconnected (amber led) status to the connected (both "i" and wifi led on green) status. Once it happened, however, the Wifi SSD disappeared and I'm no longer able to make it work again. Everything looks ok on the Web Portal, 2 wifi lan active, the access point is online and working, but actually it is not.

Sincerly,

P.Guarini

Update: I disconnected and reconnected a couple of network cables and the Wifi networks reappeared (although those 2 cables were already correctly connected). After 1 minute the SSID disappeared and the came back in a matter of 2 or 3 seconds. I'm really puzzled by how this AP behaves, to be honest. I find it quite unreliable.