Very Slow Cell Phone Speeds

sunny2456

Very Slow Cell Phone Speeds

Hi all,

I'm in the Aruba Advocate program on Spiceworks and just recieved the AP11 and I tested it out home and 2 different client sites today and noticed a terrible pattern - Cell phones (Samsung and LG) are getting less than half the speeds versus existing, competing wifi AP's. 

Here's my current home network. Comcast 60 down 5 up. Ubiquiti edgerouter, cisco dumb switch, then a couple devices connected thruout. On the Ubiquiti ap ac lite (very competitively priced versus the pro), I easily get 60 plus down and 5 plus up. This Aruba AP, I get a measely 19 down and 5 up. And this is comparing apples to apples, 5ghz network to 5ghz network which I checked. Even on the 2.4ghz Ubi network, I still get 25 plus down. Even worse, I can have my phone right next to the AP and I still don't get full speeds and end up at a max of 90%.

My laptop and desktop work fine however though I will say that wall penetration isn't that fantastic compared to Ubiquiti's lowest model (AP lite). Could this just be a firmware bug? 

My biggest concern is that if you are marketing this for small shops or doctors offices, most devices are cell phones and I wouldn't want to deploy these in any place with an issue like this. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Employee
Employee

Re: Very Slow Cell Phone Speeds

@sunny2456  I ran some independent testing of an AP15 and a AP12 meshed to the AP15. I just used cell phones ( Galaxy S8+ Android 9) and a (Razr M Android 4.4.2) and a (iPhone 8Plus IOS 12.4)my ISP is 30Mbps up and down. I consistently had 28 Mbps down and 30+ Mbps up from all 3 phones. It did not matter if I was connected to the AP15 or to the Meshed AP12.

0 Kudos
sunny2456

@GThiesen Could this be an ap11d issue then? Are there any logs I can see or send to you? Any way to hard reset it? The entire reason I took it with me to 2 other client sites is to make sure my network at home wasn't causing conflicts and I got the same slow results at all those places. 

0 Kudos
Employee
Employee

@sunny2456  Please reach out to support and open a case as they are the ones that can access your logs and assist you. I have not heard of any bugs with the AP11.

https://community.arubainstanton.com/t5/Contact-Support/ct-p/contact-support

Highlighted
Charmacas
Occasional Contributor II

It would be interesting to hear here what the support will find out. Let us know!
0 Kudos