changing over the air device

MAikel

changing over the air device

Hi All, today i've installed my third Aruba AP, except for one they are all connected over the air. the last AP that i've connected has a very poor internet quality. when diving into it i've noticed this device automatically connects to the wired connected device, but this is also the device which is far away. in my opinion the device has to connect to the AP in the middle of my house. see rough situation below: AP 1: ground floor near my internet modem and ofcourse wired AP 2: first floor and over the air connected to AP 1; stating fair internet quality. AP 3: second floor, over the air connected to AP 1; stating poor internet quality after doing some speedtest; AP1 on Wi-Fi 170 MbPs AP3 won't go any further than 3 MbPs at this moment. so my final question, how can i redirect AP3 to AP2 so i can optimilize my internet connections. Hope to hear from anyone soon.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
axthemax
Contributor I

Re: changing over the air device

First, I'm not quite sure whether I completely understand your current setup.

But keep in mind, distance is not the only criteria for connectivity. In a mesh setup, AFAIK the APs would connect in between one another using the 5GHz band only, which can be impacted easily by obstacles like walls, metal etc. 

There is little you can configure on ION at this point other than positioning the APs differently or connecting more APs to wired connections.

Hope this helps...

0 Kudos
Employee
Employee

Re: changing over the air device

@MAikel  Multi-hop over the air is not a recommended solution and you will get a 50% reduction in bandwidth with multi-hop. It sounds like AP3 needs to be moved further away from AP1 so that over the air signal is not received. If you are still running into issues please reach out to support to help troubleshoot your issues.

0 Kudos