Instant On - Wireless

• 1.  max number of clients

Posted 08-24-2019 11:05 AM

The suggested max number of clients per network is 100-150, it seems to me like a low limit because each of the indoor access point models hava a max limit of 50, 75, 100 users. Is not possible for example to have 400 users with 20 AP12s ?

• 2.  RE: max number of clients

Employee
    Posted 08-24-2019 02:25 PM
    I’ve been wondering this myself - I’m over on the enterprise wireless side of the house, so I’m not familiar with the richter details on this product line at all other than the fact that the AP hardware looks awfully familiar. I do appreciate the absolute breath of fresh air that is the starting of the functional max client per AP capacity rather than the absurdly high association limit that seemingly everyone in the industry is touting as “AP capacity”. Where I’m also a little confused on this is whether the “100 users” is a functional management limit intended to suggest the rough size of an organization that the system would best fit (as in, 100 managed users/employees) or if it’s a hard limit in terms of how many simultaneous associations across the system. I have numerous colleagues in the church IT world who are using Ubiquiti pretty heavily in their environments, and their typical deployment is 10-20 APs with about 50-75 staff , which would fit nicely, but on weekends, they get several hundred guest devices. I think we could use some additional clarity on what the guest capacity is. It looks like this is being targeted at the market space that Meraki, Ubiquiti, and Ruckus Unleashed are playing in (which is really ironic considering that Unleashed was initially Ruckus’ answer to the original Instant product from Aruba, and it eventually morphed into something a little more downmarket) Ruckus also attempted a higher end consumer product like this (using their low/mid enterprise hardware) but it never took off, perhaps because at the time the consumer market wasn’t ready for multi-AP systems the way it is now. I’ll be very interested to see how this plays out.

• 3.  RE: max number of clients

Employee
    Posted 08-27-2019 06:12 PM

@IanBeyer The recommended max number of active devices per AP, 50 (AP11), 75 (AP12) and 100 (AP15). So in your church scenario, the 10-20 AP's could potentially handle the several hundred users spanned across all of the AP's.  A "connection" can consume more resources depending on something like the distance of that device from the access point or say, interference is present.  That is because in wifi, resources are shared and performance can vary greatly. Can you go above the recommended devices per AP yes, but your overall user experience will be degraded.

• 4.  RE: max number of clients

Employee
    Posted 08-27-2019 06:30 PM

Is there a recommended upper limit to the number of asociated/active clients across the entire system? Given that the controller is running on the APs, I would imagine there is a functional limit to how much it can handle. 

• 5.  RE: max number of clients

Employee
    Posted 08-28-2019 10:49 AM

@IanBeyer Each AP controls the active devices within the site, so your limit would be the number of AP at that site multiplied by the recommendations. If you had 2 - AP15's your recommended max would be 200, 100 for each AP.

• 6.  RE: max number of clients

Posted 08-27-2019 01:06 PM
    Anyone from Aruba ?