Everything Instant On

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Can I configure a mesh network with a mix of AP22's and AP15's? If so, who should be the parent and will I loose anything on the AP22 deploying one way vs another (WiFi-6 functionality)?

• 1.  Can I configure a mesh network with a mix of AP22's and AP15's? If so, who should be the parent and will I loose anything on the AP22 deploying one way vs another (WiFi-6 functionality)?

Posted 10-25-2021 12:55 PM
    I have two existing AP15's and I'm looking to add a couple more.  I figured why not go with the AP22 to future proof for WiFi-6. Can I configure a mesh network consisting of AP22's and AP15's? If so, which AP should be the parent (e.g. the seed unit that's the first wired AP set up) and will I loose anything on the AP22 if it's not the parent, which will probably be the case since the AP15's already exist?  I'm wonder if I might loose some sort of WiFi-6 functionality? I plan on all AP's being home run (wired) back to an Aruba PoE Switch, BUT if there are any nuances if the AP22 is deployed as a "Smart Mesh" non-wired vs wired, that would be good to know. What if the AP22 was deployed in a Smart Mesh, are there implications if it's the parent or child?

I searched through the Aruba Instant On Deployment Guide (aio deployment guide - version 1.4.pdf) but it does NOT specifically cover mixing W-Fi 6 AP's with non-WiFi-6 AP's as the AP22 was released after the deployment guide was written (dated 02-24-2020).  Thanks!

------------------------------
    Chris Conniff

• 2.  RE: Can I configure a mesh network with a mix of AP22's and AP15's? If so, who should be the parent and will I loose anything on the AP22 deploying one way vs another (WiFi-6 functionality)?

Employee
    Posted 10-27-2021 03:14 PM
    Hi Chris, 

You shouldn't have a problem with them working together. If you do have any issues, please reach out to our support team for live assistance. https://www.arubainstanton.com/contact-support/

Aruba Instant On Communications