Instant On - Wireless

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

AP22 and 1930 Series Switch Testing

• 1.  AP22 and 1930 Series Switch Testing

Posted 11-13-2021 05:42 PM
    UPDATE:  Nov.01/22:  The lag, dropped frame, and general performance issues have been resolved some time ago, apologies for not updating sooner!

UPDATE: Nov. 28/21:
      The lag / dropped frame issue has appeared for us on 2.4GHz devices connected to an AP22. 

TLDR:
     On our network we could find NO ISSUE with the access point or switch; streaming was smooth and connectivity nearly flawless after 4+ hours of continuous testing. (Update: this still holds true after 14 days on 5GHz broadcasts only. 2.4GHz connected devices are lagging/dropping connection).

After reading a few very passionate posts about faulty AP22s and 1930 switches, I became quite concerned as we deploy these to commercial and residential customers.
    I finally found myself with some time to stress test this setup and see if I could replicate the issues mentioned in this forum. Here's what I fired up....

Aruba IO equipment:
    - (1) AP22 and (1) 1930 24G POE switch
    - Site running on version 2.4.0, both in standard configuration, web portal controlled, one additional wired VLAN, no wireless VLANs.
    - WiFi 6 Multiple Clients Optimization (OFDMA) enabled.
    - 2.4 & 5GHz frequencies split by SSID
    - 20MHz & 80MHz wide channels.
    - DFS channel 132 used on 5GHz.

Router:
    Netgate pfSense 1100

Client devices:
    - 2021 Macbook Pro 14" (ax)
    - 2x 2021 iPhone13 (ax)
    - 2015 MacBook Pro 13" (ac)
    - 2014 MacMini (ac)
    - 2011 Sony Smart TV (2.4 n)
    - Apple TV 4k first gen (ac)
    - Canon business class Laser printer (2.4 n)
    - Google home minis & hubs (2.4 n)
    - 2x iEast audio streamers (2.4 n)

Reports were that while streaming video, the users would experience buffers and drop-outs, and at points the user reported large gaps of zero connectivity (dropped pings) to the gateway & WAN. To address this, I concurrently streamed YouTube Music on two devices, Netflix on the Sony TV and a MacBook, Disney+ on the Apple TV, streamed high quality Spotify to the streamers and submitted multiple random requests to Google Home devices (lights, queries, etc).
    I sent print jobs to Canon printer, waited for it to go into sleep mode, tried again. While all that was happening, I surfed the web on the MacMini and MacBook Pro. I also had an old iPhone 6 (ac) on a second SSID that my son was using to stream Youtube at the same time.

While the above was rolling along, I had ping tests running to google and/or cloudfare. 

- We experienced no stuttering, lagging or performance issues on any of the devices streaming audio or video.
    - The Canon printer worked as intended (it actually woke up from deep sleep wirelessly, which never seemed to work with our UniFi system).
    - After hours of tests the worst ping test was a .02% error rate on the '15 MacBook Pro, 0.1% ER on the Mini, and 0% ER on the '21 MacBook Pro. I see no issue with these numbers on a wireless setup.

I'm unsure what else I could do to simulate performance testing, but if someone has a suggestion, I'm game. I'm thinking the issues reported by users are either faulty equipment or unique LAN settings / corner cases that have triggered performance issues. 

------------------------------
    Ethan

• 2.  RE: AP22 and 1930 Series Switch Testing

Posted 11-14-2021 01:52 AM

Thanks for good testing..

This is not the case for me, I have replaced switches and ap with new hardware, still drops IF i have AP22 connected to 1930.

I see complete random problems, often after 2-3-4days after boot, teams call problem, slow downloads etc.

I did testing at home last week:
    setup:
    1gig fiber connection
    Fortigate 40F and PFSense

1930 (new) and AP22 = problems / drops randomly / buffering video stream / ping drops
    1930 and unifi u6-lr = all good
    fortiswitch and ap22 = all good
    1930 and meraki mr42 = all good

Clients:
    Apple tv 4k
    iPhone 11
    Macbook air m1 (AX
    Dell latitude 7490
    Lenovo T495

• 3.  RE: AP22 and 1930 Series Switch Testing

Posted 11-15-2021 04:06 PM
    Thanks for the testing. It's good to know that the combo does work, somewhere.  I've had my new 1930 in for a couple hours now and the issue hasn't returned. But it's freshly booted and in the past, I have seen it take a few hours before it pops up again. So I can't say for sure it's good just yet.

I can say my old one was hardware version 1.00 and the new one is 8.00. What hardware version is yours? It's on the sticker on the back.

• 4.  RE: AP22 and 1930 Series Switch Testing

Posted 11-15-2021 05:57 PM
    Scratch that. It still happens.

• 5.  RE: AP22 and 1930 Series Switch Testing

Posted 11-28-2021 02:45 PM
    After 2 weeks of usage by 4 family members and sporadic testing along the way, the 5GHz connected devices continue to perform extremely well on the AP22. However, the 2.4 connected devices have started displaying the same issues as noted by others: dropped frames/packets, inability to stay associated to the network, lag spikes and generally poor performance. 

This is in contrast to other users who report these issues on both frequencies. I've taken the AP22 out of the mix and replaced it with an AP11D and the issues have disappeared. I'll be reconnecting the AP22 and will try to perform some additional testing, packet captures and logging to see if there's any indication of what's up.

Aruba - we've had a number of people do some solid troubleshooting and we're still here with an issue - do we have any acknowledgement there's an issue with this firmware version? Do we have an ETA on a firmware update? 

​​​

Ethan

• 6.  RE: AP22 and 1930 Series Switch Testing

Posted 01-18-2022 01:29 PM
    Any update on this issue?  I was ready to pull the trigger on 2 x 1930 switches and 5 x AP22 WAPs.   

Funny thing is without transparency of the progress on issues it makes me reconsider this platform at all.

Jeremy Birch

• 7.  RE: AP22 and 1930 Series Switch Testing

Posted 01-18-2022 04:41 PM
    At least for me, after extensive testing, I can confidently state the following:

1. Default switch settings do not work for me at all
    2. In order for my deployment to work reliably, I must use firmware 1.07 which disables cloud mgmt. Even if 1.07 didn't disable cloud, I still couldn't use cloud mgmt due to #3 below.
    3. I must turn off EEE or I will have some random connectivity issues with certain devices. I also must turn off anything relating to LLDP on all ports otherwise I will have random drops to the gateway. Being that neither of these settings are available to be configured when in cloud mode, I couldn't use cloud mode as it turns these settings on and doesn't let you change them, even if 1.07 firmware supported cloud mode.

I have decided to not sell these switches. I am keeping this one at my home as I have I have found a way to make it functional and I already have it. But if you want a reliable, functional, cloud managed deployment, I have not been able to make that work reliably with a 1930 switch in the mix. So we use and sell AP22s with no problem, we just don't use/sell the switches. 

I am the man known as Rob -- who was assigned the moniker FL0 for an unknown reason, other than I live in Florida? idk.

• 8.  RE: AP22 and 1930 Series Switch Testing

Posted 01-27-2022 08:49 AM
    Thanks for all the troubleshooting you have done.  Is this still working ok for you?

RG Frigo

• 9.  RE: AP22 and 1930 Series Switch Testing

Would be curious to hear what you decided to do. I am in exactly the same boat. Thanks.

RG Frigo

• 10.  RE: AP22 and 1930 Series Switch Testing

Employee
    Posted 01-25-2022 06:33 PM
    We have a support case open on this specific issue, however, we don't have enough logs to find the exact root cause. We are still triaging and will come back if any findings. Are any users who have this issue and support us to get the logs.

Aruba Instant On Communications

• 11.  RE: AP22 and 1930 Series Switch Testing

Posted 01-26-2022 12:46 PM

Hello @​​​JM78 & community,

Sincere apologies, we've been extremely busy since our last post and have been unable to troubleshoot further. We never did respond to the request for logs and details. 

Due to our schedule it was easier to remove the AP22 and carry on. 

I will make a serious effort to reconnect the AP22 sometime in the next week and generate log data that can be forwarded to Aruba's team. 

Ethan

• 12.  RE: AP22 and 1930 Series Switch Testing

Posted 01-26-2022 01:12 PM
    I have seen this a few times in my home network since I switched my Huawei CloudEngine switch for an AIO 1930 (JL683A). In my case I could watch it a few times while pinging my local gateway from my iphone (5GHz wifi / ac)  with wifiman, sitting about three meters next to an AP 22. I have seen packet loss between 4% and 10% and random lag spikes up to 50ms, but nearly always it works without any problems with a latency between 3ms and 9ms with zero packet loss. The problem is not reproducible for me - it just 'happens' from time to time. Maybe it happens more often and I just don't notice it. I can't even say if it is related to apple devices or a general issue. I have never seen such a behavior with my former Huawei AirEngine AP / CloudEngine switch setup and also not with the combination of AP 22s and the CloudEngine switch. Also, there is nothing interesting in the firewall logs (opnsense).

Please let me know, if there is anything I can test or if there are any hidden logs that can be downloaded from the switch or access points.

• 13.  RE: AP22 and 1930 Series Switch Testing

Posted 01-26-2022 02:15 PM
    Raketenmeyer I suggest trying what I said above to confirm if it works. 

1) Remove 1930 switch from cloud managed mode
    2) Install firmware 1.07
    3) Reset to defaults
    4) Disable anything and everything with EEE, LLDP, LLDP-MED on the switch, making sure these features are disabled globally and on each port

Let it run like that for a while. For me, it never fails in this config. My symptoms were identical to what you were describing and the above settings have been the only thing that worked for me after EXTENSIVE and LENGTHY troubleshooting.

I am the man known as Rob -- who was assigned the moniker FL0 for an unknown reason, other than I live in Florida? idk.

• 14.  RE: AP22 and 1930 Series Switch Testing

Posted 01-26-2022 02:50 PM

Hey Rob,

thank's for your answer. Setting the switch to local management is not an option for me. I bought the whole AIO stuff because of the easy cloud management. 

For local management I would switch back to my Huawei AirEngine setup with much better hardware/performance.

There must be a reason for these AIO issues. I hope the AIO dev team will find and fix them.

• 15.  RE: AP22 and 1930 Series Switch Testing

Posted 01-26-2022 03:57 PM
    I hear that, me too. I'm def not happy about it. They default a lot of these settings in cloud mode and don't let you change them unless you switch to local, which is garbage and gimps the product. I was just letting you know that those were the only settings that worked for me. I can at least use this one switch, but we def aren't quoting any of them to clients due to no reliable cloud mode.

• 16.  RE: AP22 and 1930 Series Switch Testing

Any update from Aruba on what you are doing to address this?  I just bought this exact gear (2 AP-22s and a 1930 24 port 195w poe switch) and will be setting it up in a month, and I would sure hate to see this sort of issue.  Thanks.

RG Frigo

• 17.  RE: AP22 and 1930 Series Switch Testing

Posted 08-01-2022 10:46 AM
    I agree, any instruction would be useful.

Katerina Olana

• 18.  RE: AP22 and 1930 Series Switch Testing

Employee
    Posted 08-03-2022 02:16 PM
    Hey Katerina,

I have resurfaced this concern with my team. I hope to have an update soon.

• 19.  RE: AP22 and 1930 Series Switch Testing

Posted 08-06-2022 09:54 AM
    There seem to be a number of issues that remain unresolved for some time - this ap22/1930 issue and the AP11D issue.  Both of these affect my network and are not what I was "sold" by Aruba.  Very unhappy.

RG Frigo

• 20.  RE: AP22 and 1930 Series Switch Testing

Posted 08-06-2022 10:49 AM
    Unfortunately for me, the problems have resurfaced. Everything was solid for a while and I haven't touched the switch config since. I left it in local mode. However, I noticed similar problems recently came back after a firmware update to the APs. I then removed the 1930 switch entirely, and it's a little better, but still not 100%. I will probably just scrap all of these to ebay once I have time. I don't care to troubleshoot them any further.

• 21.  RE: AP22 and 1930 Series Switch Testing

Employee
    Posted 08-08-2022 11:53 AM
    Hey RG,

I apologize for the issues you're having. I have resurfaced these issues with my engineers to see if I can get more information or troubleshooting advice.

• 22.  RE: AP22 and 1930 Series Switch Testing

Posted 11-05-2022 05:56 PM
    Is this still an issue as considering purchased the JL683A switch and 2 x AP22 for a 2000 sqft deployment.  I have an AP25 boxed, but was prob going to not use it.

Mike Scott

• 23.  RE: AP22 and 1930 Series Switch Testing

Posted 11-05-2022 06:38 PM
    Hi Mike,

I'm happy to report that the issue seems to be resolved. I'm using that combo as I type now, and seem to have no bottlenecks and no longer have the degraded 2.4GHz performance issues. I hope this is true across the board for everyone!

(The 11D still won't break 500Mbps though)

Cheers,

Ethan

• 24.  RE: AP22 and 1930 Series Switch Testing

Posted 11-05-2022 07:12 PM
    Perfect, many thanks.  Sorry, I got the sqft wrong, it's circa 700sqft two storey 4 bed detacted house.

I'll prob sell off the AP25 and get the AP22 units, the power and size of the AP25 puts me off.

Hoping to move off from Unifi when Aruba kit can be purchased.  JL683A on order now for 6 months, it's avaliable from a few UK sellers, but at £700.

Mike Scott