Instant On - Wireless

View Only
  • 1.  AP22 speeds?

Posted 03-05-2022 05:24 PM
    On my home system I have 5 AP22, a 1930-24G and a Firewalla Gold router.  The Firewalla has a feature that allows speed test, router to some wan device that it chooses and a wifi speed test that allows you to test the wifi on a mobile device running the Firewalla app to the Firewalla itself not some wan connection so just mobile device running the app through an AP, through the switch to the Firewalla and the best I can get is about 535mbps up and down. I've made sure no other clients are on this AP that my iPad is connecting through, I'm 15' line of sight, everything is linked at 1 gig and I've tried numerous setting changes, disable wi-fi 6, optimization, disable 2.4, etc, etc and various combinations and the speed never improves, actually goes down.  I would think an AP22 with just one client would do much better.  What gives.  I don't really feel like grabbing a different AC type AP to test, not sure I even have any other brands now either.  What are you ARUBA techs seeing on your bench tests?  I'm sure you can run similar tests just through an AP and switch.

• 2.  RE: AP22 speeds?

Posted 03-06-2022 12:17 PM
    •  What's the model# of the iPad you're using, VAV?
    On the Firewalla:
    •  Is IDS/IPS and Deep Packet inspection turned on or off?
    •  Do you have airtime fairness or QOS on or off 

------------------------------
    Ethan

• 3.  RE: AP22 speeds?

Posted 03-06-2022 02:44 PM
    Generation 8 which if I read correctly should be good up to 866mbps.

• 4.  RE: AP22 speeds?

Posted 03-06-2022 09:46 PM

866 is a theoretical PHY rate, you will NEVER get that in real world throughput tests. You're usually going to get from 50-65% of that throughput per client in a clean RF environment:

https://community.arubanetworks.com/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MID=11745

535 mbps throughput on 802.11 AC 2x2 radio is a very good performance I think.

_ELiasz

• 5.  RE: AP22 speeds?

Posted 03-06-2022 09:59 PM

The thread you linked to has some good and some incorrect information. We can expect better than 535 on a 2-stream AC device under ideal circumstances. 

That said, there's more to just signal strength at play that determines your MCS rate, which is what determines your ultimate speed. 

​VAV:
    - you didn't answer any of the questions regarding firewall settings. They can have a MAJOR impact on throughput due to processing overhead.

- Do you have a wifi scanner ​app by chance? It would be helpful to know if you have any co-channel or adjacent channel interference. These will lower your MCS rate even though you have a strong signal. 

- Are your channels set to 40/80 or 160MHz width? Each jump up impacts the SNR which can also lower performance. 

- One thing that was mentioned in the linked thread is TCP overhead. That is a limiting factor on speed tests as well. When we use iPerf, TCP throughput is 15-25% less than UDP. I’m not sure what/how the Firewalla runs it’s tests, so can’t speak to it. 

I’m happy to assist, but we need all the details to see the whole picture clearly. 🙂

Ethan

• 6.  RE: AP22 speeds?

Posted 03-06-2022 10:28 PM
    That said, there's more to just signal strength at play that determines your MCS rate

Indeed: https://mcsindex.com/ :D

_ELiasz

• 7.  RE: AP22 speeds?

Posted 03-07-2022 07:26 AM
    The visibility and control setting is off for deep packet and the router is only testing on the lan side so its deep packet inspections shouldn't have an impact.  The channel width on the AP22 is the default 20/40/80, never saw an option for 160?   I hace an old wi-spy but haven't used it in a decade or more.  Don't really have adjacent channel issue, neighbors too far and the various APs channels spacing looks good.  Now there usually is a lot of video streaming going through my 1930-24G which could impact its through put.  Often 5 tvs streaming hulu but when those tvs are on the speed test drops to mid to high 400's.  I think I need to try my laptop or switch my desktop to wifi and test with those and then try through other APs in case its a copper issue or any other of a number of variables.