Instant On - Wireless

View Only
  • 1.  Over-The-Air despite having Ethernet connection

Posted 01-02-2022 09:06 AM
    Our office is moving to a new building. It has been cabled with Cat 6a throughout. I set up 16 AP-22s using a 1930 PoE 370W switch. All AP-22s are cabled via Ethernet connections. For some reason 6 of the APs are using over-the-air rather than Ethernet connectivity. I assume it would default to Ethernet if it existed and not attempt OTA, right? I also assume the Ethernet drops are working fine since they are supplying the power to the APs. What could be going on? Is there a way to force an Ethernet connection? Thanks for any insight you kind folks may have.

------------------------------
    Bill

• 2.  RE: Over-The-Air despite having Ethernet connection

Employee
    Posted 01-06-2022 06:14 PM
    Hi Bill,

I'm confirming a few things with my team internally and will update this thread when I have more information about your concerns. Thank you.

Aruba Instant On Communications

• 3.  RE: Over-The-Air despite having Ethernet connection

Posted 01-08-2022 11:58 AM
    Thanks JM! I look forward to your response. I am baffled. I tried a different 1930 PoE switch and had the same results BTW.

Bill Howells

• 4.  RE: Over-The-Air despite having Ethernet connection

Employee
    Posted 01-11-2022 07:59 PM
    Hey Bill,

I had the chance to connect with my team on this. We recommend that you check on the ethernet connection of the AP, which joins as Mesh AP. Ensure the cable is correct or not broken and the link is active as Aruba Instant On APs will not come as Mesh Point when the AP has a wired ethernet connection. Alternatively, swap the mesh point with another AP to confirm if the cable is working correctly.

Aruba Instant On Communications

• 5.  RE: Over-The-Air despite having Ethernet connection

Posted 01-18-2022 05:25 PM
    Sure enough the cablers checked their work and were able to resolve 3 of the 6 of the WAPs that were connecting via mesh. I suspect the other three will also be cabling issues.  Thanks.

Bill Howells

• 6.  RE: Over-The-Air despite having Ethernet connection

Posted 01-10-2022 10:49 AM
    I would say replace the Cat6 patch cables you are using. I have had an AP-22 do the same thing and turned out was just a dodgy cable. I would also cable test each port, make sure all 8 pins are working on the cable and the actual structured cabling.

Rob

• 7.  RE: Over-The-Air despite having Ethernet connection

Posted 01-18-2022 05:26 PM
    Yep, it was a cabling issue. Thanks, Rob.

Bill Howells