Instant On - Wireless

View Only
  • 1.  Trouble connecting IOT devices

Posted 04-18-2022 10:31 PM
    I have issues getting certain IOT devices connected.  I have 2 AP22s and an AP11 set up with 2 vlans with 2 different SSIDs - vlan 1 for general work, and vlan 2 for IOT devices, all connected through a 24 port 1930 switch, all of which are managed through the cloud. Some devices like myQ garage door openers and Rachio sprinkler controller connected just fine, while others like a Somfy window blind controller, Honeywell T6 Pro thermostat, and a Sonos amp are unable to connect.  Meanwhile, a Synology wifi router allowed them all to connect.  Any advice on how to solve these issues would be appreciated.

------------------------------
    RG Frigo

• 2.  RE: Trouble connecting IOT devices

Employee
    Posted 04-19-2022 12:33 PM
    Hey RG,

Thank you for your question. Our support team would be able to assist you with this due to the nature of your concern. Please reach out to them by visiting the link below. 

Contact Aruba Instant On Support

Aruba Instant On remove preview
    Contact Aruba Instant On Support
    Need help? Aruba Instant On customers can contact technical support via online chat or phone.
    View this on Aruba Instant On >

Aruba Instant On Communications

• 3.  RE: Trouble connecting IOT devices

Posted 04-20-2022 11:27 AM

Hey RG,

a couple things to check:

- Are you running 2.4 & 5GHz combined  SSIDs? There is quite a list of IoT devices that don't play well with combined frequency SSIDs. 

- Do you have WPA3 enabled? There are plenty of devices that don't support WPA3 and will choke on the process. 

I'd try those things first. 👍

Ethan

• 4.  RE: Trouble connecting IOT devices

Posted 04-21-2022 10:24 AM
    Ethan thanks for the suggestions. I think what solved it was:

1) I didn't have the vlan 2 set up properly.
    2) Turning on shared services - I need to see if this made a difference or not, but I made that change when I changed vlan settings

Seperately I did change the IOT vlan and ssid over to 2.4ghz alone to avoid problems down the road.

Thanks again for your advice - you are a great contributor to this forum!

RG Frigo