Instant On - Wireless

View Only
  • 1.  2.4Ghz wireless printer not connecting to AP22s

Posted 02-25-2022 10:02 AM
    I have an HP Laserjet in my office that is 8 years old and it still chugs along. Connects fine to an older Wifi 5 AP from Asus, but won't connect to the AP22s. The HP printer community forum is littered with similar accounts with a number of different newer APs, and HP is of little assistance other than letting users know that 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands with the same SSID is problematic. Anyone have a similar issue with AP22s or similar?

• 2.  RE: 2.4Ghz wireless printer not connecting to AP22s

Posted 02-26-2022 04:37 PM
    First thing to check is that WPA3 is disabled. Some older equipment will choke as soon as WPA3 is offered and go no further. Older iPads do this as well. Additionally, some older devices don't like a mixed network (2.4 & 5GHz combined on the same SSID) as you mentioned.

Check those and report back. :)

------------------------------
    Ethan

• 3.  RE: 2.4Ghz wireless printer not connecting to AP22s

Posted 03-03-2022 11:06 AM
    Thanks Ethan, but is WPA3 enabled by the obtusely named "WPA2 + WPA3 Personal" checkbox in the Network->Identification tab?

• 4.  RE: 2.4Ghz wireless printer not connecting to AP22s

Posted 03-03-2022 12:20 PM

It is! 

Clients are offered WPA3 first, then 2. But some clients choke as soon as 3 is offered and refuse to attempt again. (I haven't studied why this is)

Disable the checkbox and the APs will fallback to WPA2. See if that makes a difference (it may not, but we've been successful in these cases)

Good luck! Let me know if that works. 

Ethan

• 5.  RE: 2.4Ghz wireless printer not connecting to AP22s

Posted 03-03-2022 02:06 PM
    Thanks Ethan, I'd been looking for such an option, but wasn't sure about whether this would disable WPA2 as well. The printer now connects!!

Now I'm going to hold my breath that these APs eventually become locally administrable and that Aruba releases an outdoor Wifi6 AP. The AP22s outperform my Unifi NanoHDs in radio performance and uptime in my test net over the last 2 months. Obviously the user interface could use a little bit of help, but it's hard to be worse than Unifi Controller, so I'm liking these very well so far.

• 6.  RE: 2.4Ghz wireless printer not connecting to AP22s

Employee
    Posted 03-11-2022 07:12 AM
    Thanks for answering this question - it helped me too with a HP OfficeJet Pro 251dw
    My newer HP OfficeJet Pro 7720 did not have a problem with the WPA2 + WPA3 setup.

Gabriel Inabnit

• 7.  RE: 2.4Ghz wireless printer not connecting to AP22s

Posted 03-11-2022 11:01 AM

Great news! I hope others find the info too…. It can be so frustrating to not know why a device isn't connecting.

(I once had hair, then started working in IT….🤣)

Take care!

Ethan