Instant On - Wireless

View Only
  • 1.  Aruba Instant ON - Mesh (Primary Controllers)

Posted 11-16-2021 05:04 PM
    Hello Aruba team,

Is it possible to have multiple primary controllers in the same Mesh network? In an example scenario, I have two floors to accommodate. 
    Using full wireless Mesh, I wanted to cover each floor with its primary to avoid latency or interference and excess hops. 

1st Floor = 3 units of Instant ON AP22 
    1 Parent Node = 2 Child Nodes

2nd Floor = 6 units of Instant ON AP22
    1 Parent Node =  5 Child Nodes

Is this possible or any recommendations you may add? 

Best regards,

------------------------------
    Justin

• 2.  RE: Aruba Instant ON - Mesh (Primary Controllers)

Posted 11-17-2021 09:28 AM

Hi Justin,

A good question - I'm following this out of curiosity. Mesh is a bad idea in general though. 

If lowered latency and interference are important, mesh is probably not the solution. 

How well mesh will work will be dependent on how many clients you'll have connected to each node, the type of traffic, and the volume of traffic. If you're using mission critical low latency applications, scrap mesh. If you plan on 20-40 client devices per AP, scrap mesh. 

Two mesh nodes for every one parent device is about as high as I'd want to go in a busy environment. The parent device only has so much airtime to distribute. 

I am curious to know the official answer to your question though! 

Ethan

• 3.  RE: Aruba Instant ON - Mesh (Primary Controllers)

Posted 11-17-2021 11:45 AM
    Most mesh systems you can put in as many wired APs that you want and then augment them with mesh nodes where you can't get wires but need better coverage but I believe most are limited to a max of two mesh hops to get to any wired AP.  I couldn't even find a decent answer on Eero APs and all their diagrams just show a single hop.  I've never used any hoppers cuz I can usually add wires.  At least so far I've never had a need.

• 4.  RE: Aruba Instant ON - Mesh (Primary Controllers)

Employee
    Posted 11-18-2021 08:17 PM
    Hey Justin,

Thank you for reaching out to us here. I'm checking with my team to confirm what recommendations would be good for this situation.

Aruba Instant On Communications

• 5.  RE: Aruba Instant ON - Mesh (Primary Controllers)

Posted 02-21-2022 05:12 AM
    Hello, just want to follow this up. What recommendation you may suggest doing with this scenario? Can you also confirm if this is a possible setup (full mesh)?

Thank you

Justin

• 6.  RE: Aruba Instant ON - Mesh (Primary Controllers)

Employee
    Posted 02-28-2022 05:58 PM
    Hey Justin,

I spoke with my team internally about this. The setup is possible, but we don't recommend it. When we extend or connect multiple APs to the wired (root) AP in mesh deployments, it will decrease performance. Hence the recommendation is not to use more than two mesh points on a single mesh portal.

Aruba Instant On Communications