Instant On - Wireless

View Only
  • 1.  Site Survey mode

Posted 01-06-2022 12:08 PM
    Dear Community,

I like the instant on portfolio, it's a good fit for small businesses and home users. I always perform a WiFi Site Survey for the suitable location and settings (power level etc). Since the instant on devices need internet, how can I run a Survey if there is no internet at that location yet?

------------------------------
    Daniel Leonard ter Horst

• 2.  RE: Site Survey mode

Employee
    Posted 01-11-2022 06:50 PM
    Hey Daniel,

Aruba Instant On apps are cloud-managed, and they need an internet connection to configure or manage.

Aruba Instant On Communications

• 3.  RE: Site Survey mode

Posted 01-12-2022 02:39 AM
    There has to be a way for an Instant on radio to stay active. Otherwise it is impossible to conduct a passive/active site survey. There are many customers who use home automation or a camera system (partly via WiFi) with recording. Which is also no longer available because the access point no longer has a Cloud connection and the WiFi network becomes unavailable as a result. You must be able to rely on the availability of a local network.

Daniel Leonard ter Horst

• 4.  RE: Site Survey mode

Posted 01-12-2022 03:05 PM
    Hi,

I tested this in my home lab for you Daniel.

In my home lab i have a AP22 setup with cloud management. I put a firewall rule on my Fortigate and blocked the AP from talking to the internet. I then rebooted the AP. After several minutes the SSIDs appear while the AP is still down in the cloud portal and all internet traffic is blocked.

It seems the AP does keep a local config. I imagine however that you need to get an IP address via DHCP before it starts to broadcast (i can test this too later). So if you want to use it for a survey you'd need a small SOHO router + POE injector so that the AP can get an IP (or maybe it'll broadcast without an IP?).

Hope this helps

_ELiasz

• 5.  RE: Site Survey mode

Posted 01-18-2022 01:30 PM
    Hey, thanks for sharing i have same question and jumped to this thread.

Green Hamill