Instant On - Wireless

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

11D Ethernet speed

• 1.  11D Ethernet speed

Posted 03-10-2022 05:45 AM
    Today I suddenly found that the AP11d ethernet port speed can not exceed 500Mbps under Intranet.

The speed of the ap uplink can reach 900mbps.
    This is not a joke?

• 2.  RE: 11D Ethernet speed

Employee
    Posted 03-10-2022 01:04 PM
    Hi Eisen,

I'm working with my team internally about your concerns. Also, can you provide us with the topology?

------------------------------
    Aruba Instant On Communications

• 3.  RE: 11D Ethernet speed

Posted 03-10-2022 04:50 PM
    Confirmed issue here as well. Interesting.... thanks for discovering this, @eisen! 

**UPDATE: This is not only affecting the 11D hardwired ports, it's affecting all transmissions through APs. Cannot hit above 500Mbps, even when MCS Rate is at 9 w/2 Spatial Streams (theoretical Max of 866Mbps)**

Hardwired to AP11D:
    - UDP tests result in full 1Gbps transfer
    - TCP tests max out at approximately 472 Mbps​

Hardwired to 1930 24G PoE Switch:
    - Directly hardwired to 1930 24G switch yields ~940 Mbps

Details:
    - This test network is flat, w/no restrictions or shaping
    - AP12, AP11, AP11D, 1930 24G POE
    - Tested via '21 MacBook Pro & '14 MacMini 

AP11D Hardwired Speed Test

Ethan

• 4.  RE: 11D Ethernet speed

Posted 03-10-2022 09:04 PM
    Hi Ethan
    Wow, Thank you for your information. I have a very good SNR but can't negotiate to 867mbps(MCS 6) use my MacBook Pro; there was no problem before, so I switched to cable, and the result was even worse.

• 5.  RE: 11D Ethernet speed

Posted 04-15-2022 04:22 PM
    I'm also seeing slower speeds than advertised.   

• 6.  RE: 11D Ethernet speed

Posted 07-31-2022 12:50 PM
    OOPS! I had incorrectly reported that the issue was rectified. It remains an ongoing issue.
    Apologies.

Ethan

• 7.  RE: 11D Ethernet speed

Posted 07-31-2022 10:25 PM
    Good, I've been wondering about this but keep forgetting to test or ask.  You would think that if this was fixed in 2.6 it would been documented and specifically mentioned in the release notes and that the Aruba staff who frequent the forums would actually respond to this thread and let us know.

• 8.  RE: 11D Ethernet speed

Posted 08-02-2022 05:16 PM
    Hi The WiFi Guys ;), 

we are seeing same issue with latest 2.6.0 SW version.

• 9.  RE: 11D Ethernet speed

Posted 08-05-2022 10:23 PM
    As are we. I was incorrect, my apologies.

Ethan

• 10.  RE: 11D Ethernet speed

Employee
    Posted 08-03-2022 02:59 PM

Hey Ethan,

Thank you for updating us. Outside of the software update, did something change in your environment/setup that assisted in the resolution of the original concern?

• 11.  RE: 11D Ethernet speed

Posted 08-05-2022 10:22 PM
    HI @JM52 & Community,

I apologize, I was incorrect; the issue persists. Uncharacteristicly, I hastily checked the throughput not realizing that I was in fact connected to an AP12 and not the 11D.
    After a handful of tests I can confirm we're still at the place we were before, with a max of 450-500Mbps.

I sure hope aruba is working on this. It's a bit worrying that we've received no official response or acknowledgement of the issue.​

Thanks and again, apologies to the community for the mistake!

Ethan

• 12.  RE: 11D Ethernet speed

Posted 03-10-2022 08:56 PM
    easy topology

• 13.  RE: 11D Ethernet speed

Employee
    Posted 03-14-2022 07:37 PM
    Hey everyone, I'm sharing everything here internally so that we can better provide you all with answers to these concerns. I really appreciate your patience and the additional information shared.

• 14.  RE: 11D Ethernet speed

Posted 03-15-2022 11:52 AM

Thanks, JM78.

I should be available to troubleshoot w/support if required. 

Appreciate your help. 🙂

Ethan

• 15.  RE: 11D Ethernet speed

Employee
    Posted 04-14-2022 04:16 PM
    Hello,

@JM52; Are there any updates on this case?

We are facing same issue with a partner and an even worse case because on uplink connection doesn't hit 500Mbps​​.

Btw, @The WiFi Guys; can you share which software tool are you using to test it?

Thank you.​​​

Iker Lineo
    Channel SE
    HPE Aruba
    Barcelona | Spain

• 16.  RE: 11D Ethernet speed

Employee
    Posted 04-19-2022 12:39 PM
    Hey Iker,

I want to confirm that I don't have a formal update for you. Unfortunately, there's no solution I can provide, but once I know more, I'll update the thread.

• 17.  RE: 11D Ethernet speed

Posted 08-02-2022 05:16 PM

Oh, there is a topic opened about the wired performance of AP11D ;)) I just opened new one today, did not find this one. Sorry ;)

I can confirm that we have same issue and complaints from customers, that 50% lower speed performance from advertized one is not accapteble. 

Please note that users are soon aware of this poor speed performance, especially where ISPs are providing 500+ Mbps speeds and customers cannot achieve near top speeds when clients are connected to wired ports on AP11D, but they can do so connected to no-name, low-end and cheaper solutions.

This issue should be addressed to Aruba Instant On product team as performance is much lower than advertized.

Regards, 

Klemen

• 18.  RE: 11D Ethernet speed

Posted 08-04-2022 03:44 AM
    Hi.

Explaining the tests me and Klemen conduct on AP11D.

Configurations were:

Laptop 1 on AP11D and Laptop 2 on 2930M switch
    Laptop 1 -> (E1) AP11D (E0) -> Aruba 2930M -> Laptop 2

Laptop 1 on AP11D and Laptop 2 on 2930F switch
    Laptop 1 -> (E1) AP11D (E0) -> Aruba 2930F -> Laptop 2

Laptop1 and Laptop 2 on AP11D ports E1 and E2
    Laptop 1 -> (E1) AP11D (E2) -> Laptop 2

We use iperf3 for testing throughput in both directions. Best result we achieved with the following iperf command:

iperf3 -c <laptop ip> -l 1M -R -N  -n 1G 

It was average <500 Mbps. In some instances it reach 600Mbps, but usually between 430 and 530.

When run on 2930M or 2930F or both in between laptops the average speed was >900Mbps.

We can rerun tests if this would help.

InstantON version is 2.6.0

Best, Gorazd

Gorazd Kikelj

• 19.  RE: 11D Ethernet speed

Posted 12-15-2022 10:12 AM
    I am also observing the slow ethernet speeds on the AP11D that was just installed. Both wireless and hardwire are both capped at around 500 Mbps down and I am also on the latest version 2.7.0 . The AP11D is directly attached to an 8 Port 1930 POE 8 port switch. Other hardwired devices on the switch are able to get gigabit speeds.

• 20.  RE: 11D Ethernet speed

Posted 03-17-2023 11:18 AM

Firmware version 2.8.0 NO improvement!

P L

• 21.  RE: 11D Ethernet speed

Posted 03-18-2023 11:47 AM

Unfortunately this is a problem. It's been one year and Aruba has swept this under the rug with no official response. 

It is painfully obvious that the 11D can not meet its advertised specs for whatever reason; that's false advertising and quite frankly, I feel duped. We have resold these units and have advertised them as fully 1Gbps capable. That puts us in a precarious position. 

Dare I say it, but the words Class Action are bubbling up. 

Aruba / @JM52 - Step up please. One year of silence is not acceptable. 

We have inventory on the shelves that we can’t move due to this issue. We want these bought back by aruba. 

The alternative is not going to be fun. 
    (and this is coming from a guy that’s typically positive, and a supporter of Aruba and their gear)

Ethan

• 22.  RE: 11D Ethernet speed

Posted 05-25-2023 07:06 PM

Curious if there are any further updates on this issue @JM52

I have two AP11D units with the same behavior of halving the bandwidth to only 500 Mbps vs 1Gbps. Can this be addressed with in the next firmware update or some kind of response from Aruba?

• 23.  RE: 11D Ethernet speed

Posted 05-25-2023 08:46 PM

yeah between the 11D and the APs with those goofy flush mount adapters and no real way to mount to round ceiling or 1 gang devices plus no gateways although Firewalla or PFSense are good for that I've been switching to Zyxel for complete one interface managed systems.  IMHO much better than Ubiquiti which I refuse to sell.

• 24.  RE: 11D Ethernet speed

Posted 06-07-2023 09:22 AM

Just to add I am seeing the same problem and as other users have said, ISP's are now offering 900Mb/s internet connections and the AP-11d is just not capable of getting near their advertised speed.

I am an MSP and I have some high profile clients using these and have had some complaints already about speed of wired devices.

Can this be looked at please or these will be returned demanding full refund (approx 90 devices)

Regards

• 25.  RE: 11D Ethernet speed

Posted 06-14-2023 11:43 PM

Please consider that the 11D isn't designed to run a beasty uplink. It's a toy class wifi better suited for hotel rooms and something. It just doesn't really have the features needed for the job of being a router.

If you need 900Mb/s as far as the other end of the cable, please get a proper router/firewall that is rated for that. e.g. RTX1220, RTX830 (which has no difficulty going to 950...

Still can't change my name from FL17!

• 26.  RE: 11D Ethernet speed

Posted 06-15-2023 05:47 AM

Most of the complaints about the AP11D isn't their throughout in router mode acting as uplink for the entire network but as a plain AP handling a single client with an apparent max speed of 500Mbps while their advertised speed per their published specs is 1167 Mbps.   If the published speed is 1167 its not unusual to expect a real world speed of 800-900 Mbps with a single client connected.   Most people think that's false advertising since they can't get more than 500Mbps so the issue should be fixed or their listed specs changed so people get the performace they think they're paying for. 

• 27.  RE: 11D Ethernet speed
    Best Answer

Posted 06-15-2023 05:57 AM

yes the problem is the AP-11d has a 4 port switch on it and as well as being an Access Point it is also a gigabit switch. Unfortunately any machine or uplink connected to the switch only runs at 500Mbps max. So as a gigabit switch it is not reaching its advertised speeds. Nothing to do with router mode and I use these as end points in certain rooms that need wifi but also need ethernet for either a printer or desktop PC. Although the port might say 1Gbps / Full it never gets anywhere near it.