Instant On - Wired

View Only
  • 1.  Error importing SSL Certificate

Posted 10-02-2020 12:41 PM

Hello,

I created a certificate on my CA and tried to add the certificate with "Certificate", RSA Public and RSA Private Key. It always shows "Error importing public certificate" header is correct as the manual mentions. Even trying to create a signing request fails after the certificate is signed. I'm not able so sign it.

Any suggestions? Anyone got this working?

• 2.  RE: Error importing SSL Certificate

Employee
    Posted 10-02-2020 08:12 PM

@Xeroxxx Is this in reference to the 1930 being in local mode? If so please reach out to support to assist in troubleshooting.

https://www.arubainstanton.com/contact-support/ 

• 3.  RE: Error importing SSL Certificate

Posted 10-06-2020 03:59 PM

Hello,

yes the system is in local mode. I try to address this in my currently opened ticket.

I will sign a new certificate and provide all data.

• 4.  RE: Error importing SSL Certificate

Posted 01-18-2022 09:55 AM
    Hi,

Did this ever get sorted? I am also having trouble importing a certificate.

• 5.  RE: Error importing SSL Certificate

Employee
    Posted 01-25-2022 10:24 AM
    Hey Colin,

Our team would like to assist you. Can you please contact our support team https://www.arubainstanton.com/contact-support/#contact

You can chat directly with them from our support page.

------------------------------
    Aruba Instant On Communications
    ------------------------------

• 6.  RE: Error importing SSL Certificate

Posted 07-01-2022 12:04 PM
    Hello Colin,
    Aruba support was highly unable to understand the problem. After setting up a call they understood. But I never heard about a fix, workaround was to create a CSR, but thats exactly not what I wanted. I don't trust foreign private keys.

However, disappointing support, has never been fixed.

• 7.  RE: Error importing SSL Certificate

Posted 04-03-2023 12:44 PM

I know this is 2.5 years later, but in case anyone else runs into this, the problem is that Aruba wants the private and public keys in PKCS#1 format (-----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY-----), while most openssl certificates are being generated in PKCS#8 format (-----BEGIN PRIVATE KEY-----).  The "invalid header' is because it's not seeing "RSA" in the first line of either the private or public keys. 

So... while you can't just insert "RSA" into the headers and get it to work, there are methods to convert the private key and public key to the older PKCS#1 format. 

To convert a PKCS#8 private key to PKCS#1 you can use this openssl command:

openssl rsa -in pkcs8.privatekey -out pkcs1.privatekey

To convert a PKCS#8 public key to PKCS#1 it's a little more "squirrely".  What you have to do is:

1. change the first line from "-----BEGIN PUBLIC KEY-----" to "-----BEGIN RSA PUBLIC KEY-----"
    2. delete the first 32 characters of the actual public key.
    3. change the last line from "-----END PUBLIC KEY-----" to "-----END RSA PUBLIC KEY-----"

This is a bash command that will do that:

echo -e "-----BEGIN RSA PUBLIC KEY-----\n$(cat "pkcs8.publickey" | grep -v "^-----" | sed -r '1s/^.{32}//')\n-----END RSA PUBLIC KEY-----" > "pkcs1.publickey"

FWIW, this post has a good description of the difference between the PKCS#1 and PKCS#8 public key file format.

Bottom line is Aruba should update their code to recognize PKCS#8 formatted public and private keys.