Instant On - Wired

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba 1930 Switches and SSH

• 1.  Aruba 1930 Switches and SSH

Posted 08-20-2020 06:26 AM

Hello,

outer the loud fan the 1930 series of instant on switches seems to be fine, so far locally controlled Smiley Wink

My only question is, why there is no colsole support i.e. telnet or ssh.

HPE switches were best managed via ssh, it is easy and fast to create and mange vlans and other stuff.

The web interface of the 1930 series reacts really fast and good but ssh / telnet would be a big PRO!

Thx

Dirk

• 2.  RE: Aruba 1930 Switches and SSH

Employee
    Posted 08-20-2020 12:31 PM

@ChAoSWK Thanks for the feedback on SSH/Telnet and the ability to use the CLI. At this current time, we do not offer SSH/Telnet access, but we will pass your feedback to the product team.

• 3.  RE: Aruba 1930 Switches and SSH

Posted 08-25-2020 04:15 PM
    Yes please add SSH 😀👍

• 4.  RE: Aruba 1930 Switches and SSH

Posted 12-12-2020 07:49 PM
    Having CLI via SSH is a must when doing networking troubleshooting. Especially when you are getting no diagnostic/interface counters in the Instant On GUI !
    Please provide an update on CLI access or making port statistics available in the GUI.

------------------------------
    Bjornar Saternes

• 5.  RE: Aruba 1930 Switches and SSH

Posted 08-11-2021 04:47 PM
    Dear all,
    is there any update on this topic. We really do need access to CLI using SSH, on Remote sites.
    Any feedback welcome.
    Thanks

NOC Team

• 6.  RE: Aruba 1930 Switches and SSH

Posted 08-17-2022 01:08 AM
    @GThiesen Any update on this? I just bought one of these switches having had many great experience with Aruba and HPE Procurve​ switches over the years and I'm absolutely shocked and utterly disappointed that these don't have a CLI. These are supposed to be managed switches. Managed switches have a CLI.

The claim that "SMB Doesn't want this" is crazy. Absolutely SMB wants SSH and a CLI. Your SMB competitors have had CLIs or ssh for years.... TP-Link, Ubiquiti, etc. all have CLIs or SSH available. This is a terrible step backwards and makes otherwise quality equipment a child's toy.

Quit following Cisco/Meraki - everyone is laughing to themselves about their SDN garbage. Real businesses need real tools. I don't want some cloud enabled internet of crap device with a bunch of poorly maintained wan facing software on the edge of my network, and I don't need a 48 port switch at the edge of my network for a branch office either. A 5 or 8 port managed switch is all we often need to setup some VLANs for bonding or load balancing our WAN connections. Sure we might need larger switches, but we don't want to put a giant power hungry POE switch on a UPS for our edge. I really think the market for these smaller switches is misunderstood. I need a switch where I can ssh in from an internal port or KVM and set a reboot timer to revert my changes so I don't lock myself out of something 1000 miles away, not something that requires a thousand clicks and hands on site for a two handed factory reset and a gui that won't work on any browser 5 years from now and will require me to boot some security ridden VM with some old OS on it.

I hope this is something you are planning on or many of your other long time SMB customers will also be returning your products just like I plan to.

Kevin Hart

• 7.  RE: Aruba 1930 Switches and SSH

Posted 09-15-2020 05:53 PM
    The lack of ssh\telnet or even the ability to create DHCP pools for VLANs is a massive disappointment. Miles away from its competitors on the same price range. Aruba spends too much time and money creating tools that nobody wants/needs and not enough on Basic stuff. I've spent 10 minutes with the thing and already regret the purchase. I avoided the hpe 1920 with poe because i thought the 1930 would be a step forward but no it still doesnt have dhcp server capabilities and they actually took a step back and removed Telnet and SSH.

• 8.  RE: Aruba 1930 Switches and SSH

Posted 11-01-2020 11:29 AM
    Have you found any way around this? People online mention a hack to get CLI, but that only works for the AP's. Having the series name be the same for APs and switches is a ubiquiti thing that really does not help the customer, especially when there's no documentation and everything has to be figured out by a Google search.

John Smith

• 9.  RE: Aruba 1930 Switches and SSH

Posted 04-01-2021 10:55 AM
    Absolutely, if you wanna have a disappointment with some switching capabilities you would purchase an aruba 1930.
    In my box works an bidir-sm-sfp without any flaws, but it is unsupported and thatswhy the box is blinking like an atomic beacon.
    Tried to blacken it with an edding ... in sum: sad, very sad.

floaty
    ~
    gaudia pelle
    pelle timorem
    : )

• 10.  RE: Aruba 1930 Switches and SSH

Posted 03-29-2022 01:33 PM

Is there any news about SSH/Telnet implementation to get CLI on 1930?

Luca Bianchi

• 11.  RE: Aruba 1930 Switches and SSH

Posted 03-29-2022 01:33 PM
    Any news about SSH/Telnet implementation?

Luca Bianchi

• 12.  RE: Aruba 1930 Switches and SSH

Posted 08-30-2022 04:51 PM
    Hi,

Procurve had amazing cli -  Intuitive, fast, easy to read menu system to manage vlans inside that same cli. 

Since HP/Aruba is killing off the 2530/2540 series switches why would you not just "copy" the best thing you had going on in that platform plus
    the serial port thing.

Maybe its not so "cool" feature as cloud or whatever but when you want you get s**t done fast and easy cli/ssh is the place to go.

-Hexatron9-

• 13.  RE: Aruba 1930 Switches and SSH

Posted 09-09-2022 10:45 AM

Hi, yes.

Yes heck yes we still need CLI.

When I bought the 1930, I was in such a pinch that I could not send the thing back when I realized I was shafted with the lack of CLI.

No I don't care about crap Cloud bullshit, local management or nothing. Need remote? Just setup a reverse proxy into the management lan, a reverse proxy that > I < own and that > I < control.

I'm not giving the masterkey of a local network to a company that I don't own, or said company would own the hardware more than me who paid for it.

And in that, what the heck having a managed switch that you can't CLI into?

When I realized there was no CLI, and that I could not at that moment afford the luxury to send it back for an other piece of equipment in a timeframe that would be acceptable (time was the issue, not really money), I relegated that precious switch of yours into the dumbest managed switch possible.

Used VLANs to split it in 3, and haven't touched its configuration or anything else since.
    It's been a mere slave to an ACTUALLY COMPETENT switch for 2 years at that point.

Yes HP, your stupid motto of "we're gonna lock out customers out of base-linux-OS-functions so they enjoy our top level other features more", which is Amazon-fire-phone level of stupid design, turned the Aruba 1930 from a decent piece of prosumer hardware that a sys-admin could cherish down to the e-waste level of 3 corner-store-bought 6 ports unmanaged switches and a piece of tape.

La Plume

• 14.  RE: Aruba 1930 Switches and SSH

Posted 11-24-2022 12:10 PM
    Hey, Aruba, we still need SSH!

Ihor Romanyshyn

• 15.  RE: Aruba 1930 Switches and SSH

Posted 11-28-2022 07:48 AM
    Fully agreed. Terrible without ssh

al ex

• 16.  RE: Aruba 1930 Switches and SSH

Employee
    Posted 11-28-2022 12:31 PM
    Please know that this thread and feature request has been shared with our teams.

Aruba Instant On Communications

• 17.  RE: Aruba 1930 Switches and SSH

Posted 12-06-2022 03:50 PM
    Having just tangled with a 1930 and its GUI, please add SSH. I cannot trust anything I see or do in the GUI to actually work.

Gordon Ablett

• 18.  RE: Aruba 1930 Switches and SSH

Posted 8 days ago

Hi,

Please, did the team have any luck with this feature request?

Thanks,

Travis

Travis Thorne

• 19.  RE: Aruba 1930 Switches and SSH

Posted 7 days ago
    ... was tired of it the other evening ... and sold the piece of ... on
    ebay ...

hasta la vista ... paby ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• 20.  RE: Aruba 1930 Switches and SSH

Posted 12-15-2022 11:34 AM

Any news?

I'm disappointed... I was undecided whether to buy a used HP (3500yl) or a 1930 i bought a new thinking in the future due hardware failures on 3500

Now i want to add a simple command like this (ip helper-address 10.2.0.10) in my VLAN

how is it possible that there is no ssh command line...

Tiago Capela

• 21.  RE: Aruba 1930 Switches and SSH

Posted 12-16-2022 10:00 AM
    The 1930 is still a great value for the feature set. The whole Instant-On lineup is a bargain. I agree it would be really nice to have ssh. But I can't have everything at this super low price point. I believe Instant-On was a way to compete with Ubiquiti on price. But as far as quality I would much rather install and support Aruba Instant On. Great hardware at shockingly reasonable pricing. 

From my perspective it appears they have dialed down a good number of features to reduce complexity of supporting and developing this lineup. We get the benefit of a solid product at a reasonable price without needing to pay for all the R&D efforts of the typical enterprise models. 

Here's a guide that may help get you going with the IP helper / DHCP Relay need. Different command and verbiage but same end goal.

"Aruba Instant On 1930 Switch Series Management and Configuration Guide"

https://community.arubainstanton.com/blogs/gregory-weaver1/2021/04/05/aruba-instant-on-1930-switch-series-management-and

- Look for DHCP Helper on page 143

• 22.  RE: Aruba 1930 Switches and SSH

Posted 01-03-2023 09:19 PM
    SSH would be great, hope they enable it in the next coming firmwares

gabriel ilardi

• 23.  RE: Aruba 1930 Switches and SSH

Posted 08-10-2023 02:13 PM

until today the switch dont have ssh?

Nurhusna Yusof