Instant On - Wired

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Switch hangs while updating to v2.5.0

• 1.  Switch hangs while updating to v2.5.0

Posted 02-07-2022 12:12 PM
    Hi,

I just started the upgrade to software v2.5.0. For the APs it looks like all went well, but not for the switch (1930 24G 195W). It doesn't come up again - waited for 20 minutes now. The power led is permanent green and the cloud led is permanent orange. What now? Hard reset?

God bless - I ran the update in my home first and didn't update one of my remote locations…

• 2.  RE: Switch hangs while updating to v2.5.0

Posted 02-07-2022 01:35 PM
    I had to hard reset the switch two times and re-add it as a new device to fix the issue. After the first hard reset the switch killed itself again - same as described in the first post - after about 15 minutes. Now, after the second hard reset it seems to work again - crossing fingers. The portal shows software v2.5.0.

• 3.  RE: Switch hangs while updating to v2.5.0

Posted 02-07-2022 01:40 PM
    Same here, total BS!  Now I gotta stop the update on clients before they're bricked!  Think one system 2 hours away now needs a service call.  Fortunately I bricked my home system and found out about this crap and I do me crap!

• 4.  RE: Switch hangs while updating to v2.5.0

Posted 02-07-2022 01:45 PM
    For me everything worked fine with the update, except that the whole update took maybe about 40 minutes.

First I saw the APs being updated and the switch were shown as offline.

Then the APs and Switches went offline again. After about 20 minutes everything showed up again and was online.

So it took quite a while.

Don't know how the switches were blinking during this process because I wasn't watching them.

------------------------------
    Bjoern Ebner

• 5.  RE: Switch hangs while updating to v2.5.0

Posted 02-07-2022 01:43 PM
    One funny thing to note is that the portal still says that a new software (v2.5.0) is available for installation - It looks like I could start the upgrade again with a click on the corresponding button. But all devices show that software v2.5.0 is already installed. The portal also says that the automatic update process will start in 6 days. That really doesn't make sense. Hopefully that won't break the switch again.

• 6.  RE: Switch hangs while updating to v2.5.0

Posted 02-07-2022 02:25 PM
    My 1930-24 took 3 hard resets before a port would link up to the router again and be in discovery mode so it could he included into the system again.  I did check another system that updated and the 1930-8 there now has fw 2.5.0 but by home system still says 1.0.5 with no option to update again so I don't wtf they did.

• 7.  RE: Switch hangs while updating to v2.5.0

Posted 02-07-2022 02:32 PM
    Oh and the 8p switch didn't brick.  Maybe as posted earlier it does take 40 minutes to complete the entire process and I didn't give my home enough time.  I do know it was close to 40 minutes before I went to the equipment room.

• 8.  RE: Switch hangs while updating to v2.5.0

Posted 02-07-2022 02:56 PM
    Yes, maybe the update to v2.5.0 needs so long to complete for whatever reason. For me it looked like the update failed. I was standing in front of the rack and watched the switch for more than 20 minutes and absolutely nothing happened. As I already wrote before, the power led was permanent green, the cloud led permanent orange and all port leds were off.

• 9.  RE: Switch hangs while updating to v2.5.0

Posted 02-07-2022 03:11 PM
    Is there an option to postpone the update from the cloud interface?

Jim tsoutsouras

• 10.  RE: Switch hangs while updating to v2.5.0

Posted 02-07-2022 03:32 PM
    Yes, there is an option to delay the update for an additional week in the ui. You could also delay it by changing the installation day repeatedly to yesterday on the day before the installation day.

• 11.  RE: Switch hangs while updating to v2.5.0

Posted 02-07-2022 04:15 PM
    Thank you for your quick reply ... where is exactly this option since I looked around 2 times the whole menu and didn t came across it

Jim tsoutsouras

• 12.  RE: Switch hangs while updating to v2.5.0

Posted 02-07-2022 04:51 PM
    Click on the burger menu in the upper left corner on the main page and choose location management. On the next page click on software updates.

• 13.  RE: Switch hangs while updating to v2.5.0

Posted 02-07-2022 05:28 PM
    It seems you are using a mobile phone to manage it while I  use a browser on a pc. Never mind found it. It was under site management / Software update , It gives me only option to postpone it for a week , do it now and a specific day of the week. Could have added manually whenever you want but they are pretty sure for their programming skills and feel confident that everyone should do it no questions asked

Jim tsoutsouras

• 14.  RE: Switch hangs while updating to v2.5.0

Posted 02-07-2022 06:31 PM
    Did a few more systems and they all went quickly but the switches were skipped, still running 1.0.5.  They must have pulled the update on the switches until they sort this crap out.  Of course it would be nice if they let the community know this shit.  Then again I don't see how this made to release without this bug being caught and if it's just a long update time issue and some of us just jumped the gun then that would have been nice to know in BIG BOLD LETTERS  .

• 15.  RE: Switch hangs while updating to v2.5.0

Posted 02-07-2022 06:48 PM

That's what I'm seeing as well. If the update just takes a while then I'd say that's fine, it just should have been stated so plans can be made accordingly.

Assuming that the web and local firmware versions are somewhat similar, then it looks like a decent number of things were added to the 1930s: https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/InstantOn_1930_Switch/rn_1930_2.5.0.40.pdf

Could potentially explain the long updates, but that's just a guess at the end of the day.

• 16.  RE: Switch hangs while updating to v2.5.0

Posted 02-09-2022 11:35 AM
    Just had a chat with support and received confirmation that they pulled the switch update and put it on hold. No ETA on when it will be back at the moment. Sounds like it was definitely causing switches to go down as noted in this thread.

• 17.  RE: Switch hangs while updating to v2.5.0

Posted 02-15-2022 03:30 PM
    Did you happen to get a copy of that document? Seems it has been removed.

Shane Lord

• 18.  RE: Switch hangs while updating to v2.5.0

Posted 02-16-2022 10:21 AM
    Seems like it was moved around a bit. Should be able to find it, along with the notes for other products, on the general release notes page: Release Notes Community Blog - Aruba Instant On Community

• 19.  RE: Switch hangs while updating to v2.5.0

We've received an email confirming that the "back-end team has halted the firmware update for the 1930 switch"

I hope customers are not the guinea-pigs for software releases.

We've used Aruba for 14 years and this seems very poor.......

Shooda Magavn

• 20.  RE: Switch hangs while updating to v2.5.0

Hi,

We had same issue as OP. We decided to try running the update on our APs (AP22s) and a (1930 24G 195W) switch, all are cloud managed at our offices - before rolling out to other sites with the same devices also managed via cloud.

We saw all the AP22s perform a firmware upgrade which completed within about 5 minutes. Immediately after they'd completed successfully the 1930 switch began upgrading... After well over an hour the switch was was stuck on:

* solid green power light
    * solid amber cloud light
    * No activity on NIC LEDs on any switch port.

Presuming the worst decided to take official route of ringing HP tech support - after another hour they ended up advising us to hard reset the 1930. Once the device was back in cloud, it appears to show its on the latest firmware 2.5.0... Their response was something like - sometimes this happens ...  I explained factory resetting is an unacceptable position to be in after they tried to blame the upgrade failure on a "blip".

You are correct about the update being withdrawn as the engineer confirmed this in a later response.

I'm still awaiting feedback on when they believe another update is planned for this switch also asked why I'm being asked to upgrade devices when all devices at the site appear to be on latest firmware.... 

Fun times...

Omar Abul-Hawa

• 21.  RE: Switch hangs while updating to v2.5.0

I believe you can only manage this running the switches in local mode (worryingly)

Shooda Magavn

• 22.  RE: Switch hangs while updating to v2.5.0

One of my engineers ran the update and said he waited longer than 40 minutes and eventually had to hard reset it.

Most firmware updates only take devices off for 3 or 4 minutes.

We can't take sites off for longer than 5 minutes for updates. This is terrible if it is 'offline' for 40 minutes.

Darren Mckay

• 23.  RE: Switch hangs while updating to v2.5.0

Posted 02-08-2022 04:02 AM
    My two JL681A are stuck at v1.0.5 it seems. Even when switching to local switch management and doing a full reset. It stays stuck at 1.0.5.

Is this model not supposed to update to latest or is something wrong? I can't find the manual downloads voor any newer firmware than 1.0.7 which says 'only local management' specifically.

• 24.  RE: Switch hangs while updating to v2.5.0

We've been advised they've pulled the updates for the switches

Shooda Magavn

• 25.  RE: Switch hangs while updating to v2.5.0

Posted 02-08-2022 04:30 AM
    I have the same problem on 8P and 48P PoE switches.

Now I can see new switches is not upgraded, they keep running 1.0.5

• 26.  RE: Switch hangs while updating to v2.5.0

Posted 02-08-2022 06:04 AM
    I updated all systems last night and all systems are ok but all systems with AIO switches the switches remain on 1.0.5, only APs were updated.  Even the one switch that did properly upgrade to 2.5.0 is now back at 1.0.5.

• 27.  RE: Switch hangs while updating to v2.5.0

Posted 02-09-2022 12:38 PM
    I could not resist and hit the update button again today. Only the switch was affected - it was successfully downgraded from v2.5.0 to v1.0.5 within 10 minutes.

• 28.  RE: Switch hangs while updating to v2.5.0

Employee
    Posted 02-09-2022 06:09 PM

Thank you for threading your concerns and issues that you were experiencing with the 2.5.0 update. I apologize for the problems you might have encountered upon release with some 1930 switches.

Our teams are working diligently to address these concerns. I've shared your concerns with my team, and I will be sure to provide any updates I receive as they come in. Thank you for your patience as we address and resolve these issues.

Aruba Instant On Communications

• 29.  RE: Switch hangs while updating to v2.5.0

Posted 02-11-2022 10:36 AM
    Looks like 2.5.0 is available for switches again. I have now upgraded 3 sites without any problems

• 30.  RE: Switch hangs while updating to v2.5.0

Posted 02-11-2022 12:26 PM
    So your switches are now showing software version 2.5.0 on the corresponding detail pages in the portal/app? My switch is still on v1.0.5 with no new update available.

• 31.  RE: Switch hangs while updating to v2.5.0

Posted 02-11-2022 12:29 PM
    I don't see the update available either and my switches are still 1.0.5.

• 32.  RE: Switch hangs while updating to v2.5.0

Posted 02-11-2022 12:41 PM
    Try adjust update window today.

• 33.  RE: Switch hangs while updating to v2.5.0

Posted 02-11-2022 12:38 PM
    Yes, 2.5.0.

Just upgraded one more site without problems

• 34.  RE: Switch hangs while updating to v2.5.0

Employee
    Posted 02-11-2022 02:33 PM
    Thank you for sharing your concerns with us about the 2.5.0 update. Glad to hear the upgrade process for the 1930 switches has worked well for some of you already. Here is an update I'd like to share with you. If your sites have already updated to the 2.5.0 version with 1930 switches running on the 1.0.5 version, the 2.5.0 upgrade is ready and scheduled to upgrade per your software update schedule. And yes, you can adjust the software update schedule (i.e., preferred day of the week and time) under site management and through the software update tab.

Please feel free to thread any questions you may have, and if I don't have an immediate answer, please know that I will work with my team to get one. Thank you.

Aruba Instant On Communications

• 35.  RE: Switch hangs while updating to v2.5.0

Posted 02-12-2022 10:13 AM
    Thanks for that clarification.  I just changed system update times to current time + 5 minutes and they all updated just fine.

• 36.  RE: Switch hangs while updating to v2.5.0

Posted 02-12-2022 10:44 AM

Same here - all switches were updated fast and without any problems. 

Tanks to the Aruba Team for the quick fix :)

• 37.  RE: Switch hangs while updating to v2.5.0

I can't see it available for switches??

Wonder if it's certain models??

We have new 1930's

Shooda Magavn