Instant On - Wired

View Only
  • 1.  NTP & Management VLAN on Instant On 1930

Posted 05-06-2022 05:26 PM
    We use the Instant On 1930 in locally managed mode, and the management VLAN is VLAN 1.  We're running the latest firmware (2.5.0.42).

We have dedicated a single port to VLAN 1 for management.  No other port is on this VLAN.  This dedicated port is not a member of any other VLANs.
    If you want to configure the switch, you have to connect to this port.  If you are connected to this port, you cannot reach any other VLAN.

The switch does have its own IP address in another network/VLAN.  Client devices on other ports can reach out to their VLAN.  If we change the management VLAN ID we can manage the switch from that VLAN.

With the management VLAN set to 1 and no other ports a member of VLAN 1, when we try to apply NTP settings the switch gets no response and eventually times out.
    I presume this is because of how the management VLAN is isolated, but I don't know how the NTP client on the switch is generating traffic or treating anything that comes back, and I can't really figure it out through testing.

I've tried making the management port a member of a VLAN that can reach the NTP server.
    I've also tried making other ports (which can reach the NTP server) members of the management VLAN (1), both untagged and tagged and with and without PVID 1.

I just can't seem to get NTP working unless the switch is setup to be completely without VLANs.  Out of the box, it's got every port on VLAN 1, untagged.  Connecting the switch to an untagged access port on another switch lets NTP work.  But as soon as I start assigning VLANs other than 1 NTP breaks, even if I also configure things to be members of VLAN 1.

I'd like to know if there's a way to keep access to the web management UI restricted to a single port and isolated VLAN, but still get NTP working, or at least extend the management VLAN (1) to the minimal number of ports necessary to get NTP working.

------------------------------
    BMS

• 2.  RE: NTP & Management VLAN on Instant On 1930

Employee
    Posted 05-10-2022 03:43 PM
    Hi BMS,

Please reach out to our support team for assistance. https://www.arubainstanton.com/contact-support/

Aruba Instant On Communications