Instant On - Wired

View Only
  • 1.  LINK-W-Down LINK-I-Up

Posted 04-24-2022 08:02 PM
    What do these messages mean?  I see a lot of these in the switch logs all the time.

TIA

• 2.  RE: LINK-W-Down LINK-I-Up

Employee
    Posted 04-26-2022 05:26 PM
    Hey ZOOR,

I'm checking on this for you.

------------------------------
    Aruba Instant On Communications

• 3.  RE: LINK-W-Down LINK-I-Up

Employee
    Posted 05-10-2022 03:17 PM
    Hey Zoor,

Apologies for the delay. My team advised that more information is needed. Can you please share the entire log of the trap message? This log will be printed when the client wired link or interface is down. Also, does this happens only on some ports or all ports of the switch? If only specific ports, what type of clients are connected?

Aruba Instant On Communications

• 4.  RE: LINK-W-Down LINK-I-Up

Posted 05-12-2022 10:59 AM
    Hi ZOOR,
      I was experiencing a similar influx of messages in my logs.  It seems some devices are notorious at turning their ethernet port on and off regularly while in sleep or standby mode.  Each time it happens the 1930 logs a LINK up or down message with the corresponding port number.  The device flooding my logs with LINK-W-Down and LINK-I-Up was an AppleTV - ends up its a well known behavior and members on their support forums have requested a fix for years.

If you are in a similar situation with a misbehaving device, and you cant perform an obvious solution such as move the device to another switch or wifi etc.  You can consider changing the log severity threshold from "info" to "notice", so that it only captures more import information, and not subtle things like a link status change.

• 5.  RE: LINK-W-Down LINK-I-Up

Posted 05-12-2022 08:12 PM
    That's very helpful thank you

Sherif