Instant On - Wired

View Only
  • 1.  1930 uplink ports usage info

Posted 12-09-2021 07:02 AM
    Hi 

After reading and watching a couple of links about uplink ports  (a nice one uplink ports definition but still cant figure it out), I d like to ask about a more techy insight for a probably simple configuration of mine that I need to setup. 

I need to connect 2 Aruba switches together and by together term I mean .....  right now I am almost full at the first switch and I d like to expand it by connecting another Aruba 1930 in order to be able to connect to the network more than the current 48 clients.

1a.Is this done by connecting via a DAC cable one of the four 10gbe uplink ports of the current switch to the other one?

1b.If yes do I need to enable jumbo frames for the specific port on both switches? 

1c.Do I need some extra configuration inside the  gui? I ve searched and didn t  come up with anything.
       Probably I can connect the uplink port of the one switch to a regular port of the second but that would demand for a special sfp+ -> rj45           cable and dont feel like doing it this       way (if  that was a possibility all along)

2.Are the4 sfp+ ports dual purpose ones? Still didnt find in gui anything like a software switch  to allow to function as a regular or uplink port

3.Can all uplink ports used independently (because there is a line that seems to connect the lower left - right 10gbe ports and thought that         this means you can use one of them each time)

4.I need to connect 2 servers between them (not by connecting them via their 10gbe network card) via the switch. There is need though, to be     used the fast lane (10gbe)
       Since these 4 ports are uplink ports, can I use them and connect each server with a 10gb3 copper cable and afterwards they can see each       other and also have internet  access?

5.In case I had an extra third 10gbe switch, then I could connect the 2 servers via their 10gbe network path to the switch. After that step, how      that switch is supposed to to be connected with the Aruba switch (I mean which port) in order for both servers to have net access?

Thank you in advance.

------------------------------
    Jim tsoutsouras

• 2.  RE: 1930 uplink ports usage info

Posted 12-10-2021 06:20 AM
    ..... it is either my question so novice (even though I ve seen a more noob ones being answered) or so pro that none knows (highly doubt that).

Jim tsoutsouras

• 3.  RE: 1930 uplink ports usage info

Employee
    Posted 12-13-2021 04:00 PM
    Hi Jim,

I'm partnering with my internal teams about your questions. I'll respond back to this thread once I have more information. Thank you for your patience.

Aruba Instant On Communications

• 4.  RE: 1930 uplink ports usage info

Posted 12-13-2021 06:00 PM

Ok thank you. I ll wait for your answer.

Ps By the way linking 2 x 1930 via the sfp+ port between them (used a Ubiquiti DAC) seemed to work but I think more configuration is needed       like

-do I set jumbo frames on? 9000MTU instead of the 1500 default one? Is there a change of continues loop problems this way? Meaning do         I have to set up STP?

-Today I tried connecting a server via a 10Gbe DAC cable to one of the 4 sfp+ ports.  It seemed to work meaning that the server could have
           net but don t have a way to check the 10g connection. Still this port too doesn t need configuration to see it as a 10g meaning MTU value           again and any other possible option needed.

Jim tsoutsouras

• 5.  RE: 1930 uplink ports usage info

Employee
    Posted 12-17-2021 09:30 PM

Hey,

Thank you for being so patient while I worked with my team to provide you with the information requested. 

1a. Is this done by connecting via a DAC cable one of the four 10gbe uplink ports of the current switch to the other one?

Yes, the DAC cable should work. For recommended DAC cables please refer to: https://www.arubainstanton.com/files/DS_AIO_1930SwitchSeries.pdf

1b. If yes do I need to enable jumbo frames for the specific port on both switches? 

Jumbo frames config need not be mandatory as this is based on the need of deployment & application needs.

1c. Do I need some extra configuration inside the GUI? I've searched and didn't come up with anything.
       Probably I can connect the uplink port of the one switch to a regular port of the second but that would demand for a special sfp+ -> rj45           cable and dont feel like doing it this       way (if  that was a possibility all along)

There are no extra configurations needed to change these ports from regular to uplink or vice versa. In the case of multiple Vlans, they can be configured as trunks to carry multiple VLAN traffic.

2.Are the 4 sfp+ ports dual purpose ones? Still didn't find in Gui anything like a software switch  to allow to function as a regular or uplink port

They are dual-purpose and can be used as a regular or uplink port. No specific config is needed to configure as a regular or uplink port.

Generally termed as uplink as they have the highest data rate compared to other ports.

3.Can all uplink ports used independently (because there is a line that seems to connect the lower left - right 10gbe ports and thought that         this means you can use one of them each time)

They can be used independently and the lines are to indicate that they are 10Gbe SFP+ ports.

Sample pic below.

4. I need to connect 2 servers between them (not by connecting them via their 10gbe network card) via the switch. There is need though, to be     used the fast lane (10gbe)
     Since these 4 ports are uplink ports, can I use them and connect each server with a 10gb3 copper cable and afterwards they can see each       other and also have internet  access?

As long as the servers support 10Gbe cards they can be connected to the uplink port.

5. In case I had an extra third 10gbe switch, then I could connect the 2 servers via their 10gbe network path to the switch. After that step, how      that switch is supposed to to be connected with the Aruba switch (I mean which port) in order for both servers to have net access?

All three switches can be connected in daisy topology with servers, 1930 connected and for 1930 we recommend using any of the uplink ports.

Aruba Instant On Communications

• 6.  RE: 1930 uplink ports usage info

Posted 12-18-2021 10:37 AM
    Thank you for your answers. I will only stand by your statement <<<In the case of multiple Vlans, they can be configured as trunks to carry multiple VLAN traffic. >>>.
    That is not true since Aruba uses the term trunk for link aggregation purposes meaning group ports together and use for instance LACP  mode for those ports. Probably you meant tagged ports. A tag port has knowledge of the available VLANS to look for when packages happens to pass from that port and route them accordingly.

Jim tsoutsouras