Instant On - Wired

View Only
  • 1.  How to assign static IP to a client and Configuring Subnets Behind a Firewall

Posted 01-31-2022 02:34 PM
    So I am brand new to Instant On and was hoping people could help me with a couple quick questions:

First how do I assigna static IP to a client via the Instant On Portal? This is usually pretty straight foward in my experience but I couldn't find anything navigating the different menues or the online documenation.

Second, so we have the the instant on behind a Fortinet wall which is pushing static IP Address to the switch in a 172.xx  format.  With that in mind, should I setup the LAN IP as static?  I want the instant on to assign IP addresses  to our local lan and company only network using a 10.14.1.1 format, but how would I do that if the LAN IP is set to a 172.xx format?

Thanks for the help!

------------------------------
    Patrick Moore

• 2.  RE: How to assign static IP to a client and Configuring Subnets Behind a Firewall

Employee
    Posted 02-04-2022 12:40 PM
    Hey Patrick,

Thank you for coming to the community with your concerns. Below are the answers to your questions.

Question 1:

As a reference, you can find the IP reservation section in the user guide on page 49 https://community.arubainstanton.com/HigherLogic/System/DownloadDocumentFile.ashx?DocumentFileKey=2477ba3e-6c6f-124b-188b-420a47216630&forceDialog=0

IP could be reserved for clients and devices on an Instant On AP in Router mode.

To reserve an IP, you can do it directly from the client list, or you can configure it in the Device List, in the connectivity tab of the router:

Please use this option to configure local LAN IP based on network needs.

To set a DHCP scope, you can configure it in an Employee or guest network under the options menu:

Aruba Instant On Communications

• 3.  RE: How to assign static IP to a client and Configuring Subnets Behind a Firewall

Posted 02-23-2022 09:30 PM
    Sorry for the late reply to this but I just want to clarify a couple things:

The solution for Question 1 is for clients connected wirelessly to an AP. The client I want to assign an Static to is connected via Ethernet to the switch.  Is there any way to do this?

As for creating a separate Subnet (question 2)....I want the 10.14.1.1 format to apply to clients connected directly via ethernet to the switch as well as those on the Corporate Wireless Network.  The example shown would only apply devices on the wireless network based on my understanding. The Switch is behind a Fortinet Firewall which is pushing the 172.x.x.x ip address to the switch.

I appreciate the help!

Patrick Moore

• 4.  RE: How to assign static IP to a client and Configuring Subnets Behind a Firewall

Employee
    Posted 02-28-2022 06:06 PM
    No apologies needed for your reply, Patrick. I'm sharing your question with my team to confirm. I'll update the thread with an answer soon.

• 5.  RE: How to assign static IP to a client and Configuring Subnets Behind a Firewall

Posted 04-10-2022 03:57 PM

Good afternoon!

I just wanted to check and see if your team had any updates on these questions.  

I also had another related question. How do I even find the IP address for clients connected via Ethernet to a switch? They show up for clients connected via Wireless but not wired and I've tried finding the information elsewhere in the portal and there'a nothing.

For how well developed a lot of the Instant on ecosystem appears to be be it's baffling that this is so difficult.

Patrick Moore

• 6.  RE: How to assign static IP to a client and Configuring Subnets Behind a Firewall

Employee
    Posted 04-26-2022 06:15 PM
    Giving static IP addresses to wireless clients is possible only when the AP is in router mode. For wired clients to assign a static IP address, there is no option on the AIO cloud portal.
    For the switch, you should configure it to Static IP of 172. x.x.x and Instant On switch don't support DHCP server. You can create DHCP servers and accordingly create VLAN interfaces on Switch so that clients can get from the DHCP server.

Sorry for the delayed reply, Patrick.