Instant On - Wired

View Only
  • 1.  Best connection for 1930 use SFP+ cables

Posted 01-18-2022 05:54 PM
    I have eight 24-port 1930 switches on a single subnet and eight HPE Aruba SFP+ DAC cables (Part #J9281D). What is the best way to connect the switches together using these cables?

I tried A->B, B->C, C->D, D->E, E->F, F->G, G->H, H->A but that did not work.

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Bill Howells

• 2.  RE: Best connection for 1930 use SFP+ cables

Posted 01-28-2022 07:26 PM
    What, exactly, are you trying to accomplish?

When you say it didn't work, what didn't work, exactly?

In your example, the link from H back to A isn't necessary, and could cause problems (though obviously it's a lot of hops from A to H or vice versa).
    Would a more hierarchical setup fit your network?

What about connecting A directly to B-H?  Or A to B and C, then B to D, E, and F, then C to G and H?

BMS

• 3.  RE: Best connection for 1930 use SFP+ cables

Posted 01-29-2022 06:11 AM
    If you connect it like that you would have to enable Spanning Tree for this Setup to work.

If you eon't enable it you would get a Loop.

Bjoern Ebner

• 4.  RE: Best connection for 1930 use SFP+ cables

Posted 01-29-2022 08:10 AM
    Thanks, Bjoern. I was just reading about AIO Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol. So all I need to do is simply turn that on and then the cabling configuration I outlined in my original post will work? To be clear the advantage of this set up is redundancy, correct? That is, I can have one of my switches fail and all the others continue to work fine?

Bill Howells

• 5.  RE: Best connection for 1930 use SFP+ cables

Posted 01-29-2022 09:16 AM
    Hi,

yes, your outlined cabling setup should work if you enable Rapid Spanning Tree.

RSTP is there to resolve any loops and to make it possible to get a redundant cabling setup like the one you outlined.

It's correct that the benefit would be the redundancy. So one switch can fail and the others do have another way to connect to each other.

Bjoern Ebner