Everything Instant On

View Only
  • 1.  Multi-gigabit Ethernet (IEEE 802.3bz standard) switch

Posted 06-15-2022 02:55 PM
    so finally after adding a new Access Point to the portfolio "AP25" does it mean we will have a new switch in the range that would support that ?

------------------------------
    Hani Kassem

• 2.  RE: Multi-gigabit Ethernet (IEEE 802.3bz standard) switch

Employee
    Posted 06-21-2022 09:23 PM
    Hi Hani,

We appreciate the request. We don't have any new product updates to share at this time.

Aruba Instant On Communications

• 3.  RE: Multi-gigabit Ethernet (IEEE 802.3bz standard) switch

Posted 06-29-2022 09:11 AM
    Indeed I find this very strange that they would release 2.5G ethernet capable access points without a switch in the fleet to support them. This is supposed to be a product family - I should be able to buy a solution from them for wired and wireless that work together.

Shane.

Shane Lord

• 4.  RE: Multi-gigabit Ethernet (IEEE 802.3bz standard) switch

Posted 08-23-2022 09:04 PM
    Any updates to this @JM52 from Aruba ?

I need to support 2.5GbE in my environment and I'm now having to look at moving away from Aruba Instant On to do it.

Shane Lord

• 5.  RE: Multi-gigabit Ethernet (IEEE 802.3bz standard) switch

Posted 08-25-2022 12:42 PM

I don't know about the instant on switches, but HP has had several switches that support 802.11bz since at least 2018.  They call it SmartRate.  I'm guessing because the instant on family is targeted for "small and growing businesses" they did not include SmartRate to keep the costs down because they did not think a small business would need it.  Many of the more enterprise SmartRate switches can still be managed via Aruba Central.

Protect Your Network Investment with Aruba SmartRate Switches | Aruba Blogs (arubanetworks.com)

• 6.  RE: Multi-gigabit Ethernet (IEEE 802.3bz standard) switch

Employee
    Posted 08-30-2022 01:29 PM
    Hey Jimmy, 

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us. Would you be able to share your use case of 2.5G? My goal is to share your concerns with our product team for future roadmap consideration.

Aruba Instant On Communications

• 7.  RE: Multi-gigabit Ethernet (IEEE 802.3bz standard) switch

Posted 08-30-2022 01:34 PM
    I don't mean to speak for anyone else already in this discussion, but I think the very obvious use case is to have something to plug an AP25 into.

Jon Dison

• 8.  RE: Multi-gigabit Ethernet (IEEE 802.3bz standard) switch

Posted 08-30-2022 02:21 PM

I am guessing but I think Shane's issue was that he has standardized on the affordability of Instant On product line and while the Instant On AP25 supports 2.5G there are no Instant On switches that can supply the AP it's top speed.  I assume he is looking to deploy the AP25s in a smaller high density or high bandwidth client demand location and needs the higher speed.

I could agree given that 2.5G 802.3bz is starting to make it into some cheap switches from lower end manufacturers like NETGEAR and TrendNet that it may turn into a conspicuous omission in the Instant On switching product line.

• 9.  RE: Multi-gigabit Ethernet (IEEE 802.3bz standard) switch

Posted 08-31-2022 05:52 PM
    Uniquiti now has 2.5g switches and Firewalla Gold Plus router will also have 2.5G ports so an Aruba 2.5G switch a couple AP25's and a Firewalla Gold Plus router would be a good solution for power users who want the cutting edge without jumping to 10G switches.