Instant On - Wireless

• 1.  AP12's perfroming tens of thousands PTR lookups a day after 2.4.0 update

Posted 24 days ago
    Greetings,

I'm a new Instant On user, about 2 months now. I have 1930 Switch and 5 AP12s (only ones offered locally where I am). Two days ago the APs update to Version 2.4.0 and since then my DNS flooded with PTR lookups from each of APs attempting reverse lookups of the other APs and only the other APs. Each AP is performing about 65,000 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxxin-addr.arpa PTR requests a day the reverse IPs are the other APs.

This was not happening before for the update to 2.4.0, is anyone seeing this activity, or does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop it?

Thanks much

------------------------------
    Dave TB

• 2.  RE: AP12's perfroming tens of thousands PTR lookups a day after 2.4.0 update

Posted 24 days ago
    I've definitely noticed that as well. Haven't been able to determine if it's causing any issues per se but I'd definitely be curious as to why the change was made and what, if any, benefit it provides.

PTR Lookups

• 3.  RE: AP12's perfroming tens of thousands PTR lookups a day after 2.4.0 update

Posted 24 days ago
    Hi Dave,

We appreciate you for making us aware of this, and we are working with our teams internally to find out more about this issue. We will update this thread when we have more information. Thank you for your patience.

Aruba Instant On Communications

• 4.  RE: AP12's perfroming tens of thousands PTR lookups a day after 2.4.0 update

Posted 23 days ago
    Thanks for the update.
    They also seem to call out directly to Quad9 as if they have it as a shared coded DNS server.  Every morning I'm reset the APs DNS counts so I find other events before they fill up my logs again. 
    Quad9

Dave TB

• 5.  RE: AP12's perfroming tens of thousands PTR lookups a day after 2.4.0 update

Posted 12 days ago
    Any updates, my DNS is pushing 1.6 million PRT looks from the APs. This getting a bit out of hand at this point.

Dave TB

• 6.  RE: AP12's perfroming tens of thousands PTR lookups a day after 2.4.0 update

Posted 21 days ago
    Mine are doing this too. It seems like every 10 seconds they look up themselves, then in the interval, they look up their neighbours.

Without blocking stuff at the router, I can't tell if they are trying anyone else's DNS (e.g. that DoH security nightmare) 
    Over about 15 hours:
    AP11D 1,2,3 and AP12 did about 22000 lookups each, about 5500 of each neighbour (and self)

A quick fiddle suggests that this represents a doubling of PTR queries.

grafana

Still can't change my name from FL17!

• 7.  RE: AP12's perfroming tens of thousands PTR lookups a day after 2.4.0 update

Posted 21 days ago
    On my AP22 after 2.40, I'm getting extreme lag in FPS gaming (200ms ping). Anyone else get same? This is with CH36 and WiFi 6 unchecked and AP rebooted. Will try different 5ghz channels