Instant On - Wireless

View Only
  • 1.  Large Home Recommendation

Posted 09-27-2022 10:01 AM
    I've read a lot of positive things about Aruba Instant On on Reddit and elsewhere and it seems like a good solution.  I'm building a new, 7,000 ft, 2-story home with thick walls/floor joists and where we plan on having a lot of people and thus devices on the network.  Which AP is enough but not overkill?  How many APs for this size space?

------------------------------
    Brent Williams

• 2.  RE: Large Home Recommendation

Posted 09-29-2022 07:51 PM

It's impossible to know how many you'll need and their placement without seeing a floor plan and details on the building materials. But that said, here are a couple good choices: 
    Indoor: 
    - If you'd like WiFi6 (ax), the AP22 is a good budget bet, or the AP25 is the upgraded choice
    - If you're not concerned with WiFi6, the AP12 or 15 is a solid bet. 
    - you could ceiling mount a couple of the above, and augment them with an AP11D in a room where it makes sense. It's awfully handy to have a switch built in to your wall mounted AP.

Outdoor:
    AIO's only outdoor AP is the AP17…. It's decent, but I'd love to see a more powerful unit come down the pipes. 

Ethan

• 3.  RE: Large Home Recommendation

Posted 09-30-2022 04:53 PM
    Thank you, this is very helpful.  I realize that exact placement is very floorplan dependent.  But is there any general rule of thumb to use as a starting point for a home for AP placement, such as 2,000 square feet or the like?

Brent Williams

• 4.  RE: Large Home Recommendation

Posted 10-01-2022 09:32 AM

I just finished a 4,000 sq ft home, all on one level. I have 2 ap22's on opposite sides of the house and an ap11 in the garage for coverage there and in the front yard. Coverage in 2 bedrooms on the far end of the house was poor, so I converted ethernet jacks I had installed in those 2 rooms to ap11d's.  I will also be adding an Ap17 in my back yard.  The garage based ap11 provides enough coverage in my front yard.

I went with ap22's as they had WiFi6 and were available at the time. I went with the ap11 for the distance and in case it dies due to changing climate conditions in the garage. The ap17 is the only compatible outdoor AP available. The ap11d's are localized wall units.

Make sure you add ethernet jacks in some rooms so that you can add additional access points later to correct for coverage anomalies. Also, add wiring for exterior access points if you plan on utilizing wifi outside. I have a 24 port Aruba 1930 powered switch to power the access points and cameras and to connect them to the network.

My guess is that you will need at least 3 or 4 ceiling mounted units like the ap22 or ap25 plus garage plus outside, and then tweaks later in specific rooms. That's just a guess though, and placement in closets vs open spaces, home layout, building materials, walls, etc. will all change the coverage. 

RG Frigo