Everything Instant On

• 1.  A little disappointed

Posted 08-16-2019 03:21 PM

I understand what these APs are and where they are trying to fit in the market but the inability to select a channel and set the power is disappointing.  Fired up my first Instant On AP and for 2.4GH it choose CH 11.  There is another AP that is very strong on CH 11 already.  The best channel for the AP would be CH 6 but I have no way to adjust.  I rebooted the AP hoping it would choose CH 6 and it choose CH 11 again.  I was hoping to use these for restaurants but the no channel/power/channel width control is a deal breaker.

Other nice to haves

- Filtering

- Social Logins

- Bandwidth Limits

Lets home some new firmware/features roll out soon.

• 2.  RE: A little disappointed

Employee
    Posted 08-16-2019 04:05 PM

@ptanner Thank you for the feedback and comments I will make sure they are passed along to the product team for Instant ON.

• 3.  RE: A little disappointed

Posted 08-19-2019 07:08 AM

As a good friend of mine said to me: You are seeing other wifi networks around and on which channel they are sending but you do not see the full frequency spectrum. Think about DECT, Bluetooth, Babyphones, etc... I suppose that the APs from Instant On are constantly checking the background and are automatically adjusting power and channel if needed and without disturbing connected users. Maybe someone from the staff could shed some light in here and tell us if my theory is right!?

• 4.  RE: A little disappointed

Employee
    Posted 08-19-2019 08:54 PM

You are right about Instant On APs constantly scanning so that they can detect any interference. When they do detect interference, they automatically switch to the best channel and power setting. These knobs to adjust channel and power are not exposed to the user since Instant On is for the SMB market and we would like to keep it simple and easy to use. Please wait for a little while longer and the AP will adjust to perform optimally

• 5.  RE: A little disappointed

Posted 08-19-2019 09:32 PM
    I remember seeing in a slide deck somewhere that the Instant On APs have, if not Aruba ARM (https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_60/UserGuide/ARM.php), something very close to it, so they should do automatic channel and power management, etc.

• 6.  RE: A little disappointed

Posted 08-20-2019 04:46 AM

I do not think that they reinvented the wheel. So I am certain that they use ARM in the background. At least I hope so. Smiley Wink

• 7.  RE: A little disappointed

Employee
    Posted 08-20-2019 11:01 AM

@Charmacas @chrislund Adaptive Radio Management is being used in the background.

• 8.  RE: A little disappointed

Posted 08-26-2019 03:24 PM
    If for the SMB market why would you have a default 80MHz channel? Most SMB will not have an ISP with a fast enough speed to need 80MHz so you have an AP wasting spectrum and causing needless interference. Most SMBs would be more satisfied with the greater SNR offered by a more narrow channel anyway. In the end it doesn't matter without the ability to adjust power or channel means we WILL NOT deploy these for our customers.

• 9.  RE: A little disappointed

Employee
    Posted 09-09-2019 08:05 PM

@ptanner  - Instant On does not use 80MHz wide channel by default. It runs a dynamic algorithm to determine the most optimal RF parameters to use based on the RF environment. This includes the best channel, power thresholds as well as the channel width to use.

We are constantly working to enhance the solution. Existing and future customers are going to get access to enhanced features and capabilities as part of future software updates. You may have seen some of the features delivered with 1.2 release already. Stay tuned for future updates.