Instant On - Wireless

• 1.  AP 11 over the air

Posted 11-28-2019 10:05 AM
    Dumb question here. My AP 11 works great when hard wired into my ISP provided router/modem. Do I need more than one AP to power over the air? My hope was that I can put the AP 11 on the other side of my house but if I’m not hard wired in how does that AP pull the internet signal then broadcast it out? Apologize is this is a crappy explanation of what I am trying to do...

• 2.  RE: AP 11 over the air

Posted 11-29-2019 02:25 AM

Looks you have a coverage concern, 

All Access point have a coverage limit (called also coverage cell) that may vary from environment to another, 

if you need to cover more areas in your environment I think you will need to add more APs, and if you have a lack of cabling around your home, you can run you instant APs on a mesh fashion, 

check out this article, it talks about mesh deployment:

https://community.arubainstanton.com/t5/Blogs/Is-Mesh-Wi-Fi-Worth-It/ba-p/781

• 3.  RE: AP 11 over the air

Employee
    Posted 11-30-2019 08:36 PM

@cfresh44 To follow up to that link below we do not recommend using mesh in a multi-hop as your bandwidth will decrease by 50%. Portal > Point1 no loss of bandwidth. Portal > Point1 > Point2 50% loss of bandwidth for devices that connect to Point2.

• 4.  RE: AP 11 over the air

Posted 12-02-2019 11:02 AM

hey guys-

thanks for the responses.  i am bad at explaining things like this.  let me try again.  i have a frontier fios router/wifi modem.  my intial set up for the ap11 said to hardwire the ap11 into the modem/router.  i did that and the AP11 works  great.  no problems.  my question is how do i get it to work on the other side of my house without it being hardwired.  i was just going to plug it in with the power cord for power but not hardwire because my rj45 cable will not reach that far.  does that make sense?  or is that not possible?

• 5.  RE: AP 11 over the air

Employee
    Posted 12-02-2019 11:06 AM

In order to mesh, you do need a second AIO AP.  The mesh connection happens AIO AP to AIO AP.  You cannot mesh the AIO AP with your router's wireless.

• 6.  RE: AP 11 over the air

Employee
    Posted 12-02-2019 11:07 AM

@cfresh44 You would need to purchase a second AP and you could place it on the other side of your house without an RJ45 ethernet connection. You need to have one AP connected via RJ45 connection.

• 7.  RE: AP 11 over the air

Posted 12-02-2019 11:11 AM
    got it! thanks guys!