Need HW (AP/Switch) recommendation for SOHO

Highlighted
New Contributor

Need HW (AP/Switch) recommendation for SOHO

My Home is now an Office for 2 parents (HPE Employees), a High School for 2 student and the University  for 1 student . My router is trying to managed 45+ devices, (about 35 Wi Fi and 10 wired;some connected via a switch), and it hangs daily.  I need a strong Router and Wi Fi.  For work I preffered to be Wired since it provides a better Skype/Team/Zoom experience, plus I have other equipments that must be Wired too.

What HW (AP/Switch) would you recommend?

Can I use an Instant On AP as Router and a Switch to connect othe AP  and Wired devices?

Perhaps a AP11D (acting as Router)

• One 1930 Switch (8Port) connected to AP11D
    • Other Wired only Devices (about 6) connected to Switch
    • Another existing Switch (8Ports) connected to 1930 Switch
      • Wired only Devices (about 5 more)
  • Two AP12 (connected via wire to AP11D or 1930 Switch) 
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Employee
Employee

Re: Need HW (AP/Switch) recommendation for SOHO

@haboscio Using an AP11D does not replace your ISP router so if that is the failure point in the network have your ISP replace it. The AP11D could be placed after your ISP router and manage all the devices on your network. Not sure of your cabling in our environment, but you could use a 1930 24 port switch and plug all device directly into that and then into your AP11D then into your ISP router. And depending on coverage and interference to AP12 and the AP11D might give you good coverage. 

ISP-->AP11D-->1930 switch-->AP12(2) and all other network wired devices

https://community.arubainstanton.com/t5/Instant-On-Guides/Aruba-Instant-On-User-Guide-Web-Applicatio...

Highlighted
New Contributor

@twhiteWC   Thanks for the guidance.  Really helpfull.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

@haboscio You bet!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

I’m not sure what happened to my original reply. Looks like it evaporated! Wish I’d copied that into a note somewhere...

Here’s a redo for anyone else needing similar feedback / user experience—
I’m running the following combo really happily:

Cable Modem —> Mikrotik hAP-ac2 (Routing/NAT/DHCP) —> 1930-8G —> 2 x AP12

I was in the same boat a few months ago looking for something that wouldn’t drop 2 or more times per day in the middle of video calls or remote sessions.

I debated between AP11D and the hAP-ac2 as the router portion but have been very happy with the latter while using Instant On gear for switching and wireless. On the wireless side nothing compares in this price point. Even high end consumer gear is no comparison to the consistent signal, throughput or reliability. Here’s to a wireless that you can count on - no regrets here. To be honest I really hope they can sustain this product line. It’s one of those almost too good to be true scenarios. Very reasonable pricing. Very high quality product.

I’ve found that each AP12 covers a single floor of drywall / wood stud construction up to about 1000 square feet and passes through up to 2 walls. Beyond that clients struggle to get decent signal on either band. But in that range Instant On is awesome. And they roam seamlessly from AP to AP even on VOIP calls (no lag, no drops, pretty unbelievable). That said you will want to plan for more APs to cover the same space you might have covered with a consumer device. These don’t have stellar reach but they are fast and stable. I’m okay with expanding my inventory and spending a little more to get quality.

A single AP12 seems to handle 15 clients really well with pretty heavy usage. It may be able to handle more but I haven’t tested. An AP15 in the same environment performed equally well which makes me think either could probably handle more.

Typical concurrent usage in my house:
• 2+ MS Teams, Zoom, Google Meet calls
• 2-4 VOIP calls
• 3+ Labtech Remote Control support sessions (to servers and clients I’m assisting)
• 1-2 online multiplayer games
• 3+ online streaming video (Netflix, YouTube, etc)
• 3-4 streaming radio
• other typical web browsing & social media
• PC laptops, iPads, Chrome OS, iPhones, Android, Chromecasts, Tivos, Wear OS, Smart A/C, Google Home - lots of variety but no trouble connecting any device

In my experience Instant On units only give application stats for wireless traffic, not wired. My 1930 for example only tells raw port throughput stats (no application details). But maybe that will come with time. And who knows maybe the AP11D can when placed as the gateway. But to get those stats in my setup I use a plugin called Lucid View on my Mikrotik and it works fairly well. It also helped me track down the specific domains which were burning up my internet data cap. Instant On tracked things down to an old iPhone and identified it as “iTunes”. Lucid View helped me get it down to 2 specific domains that I was able to traffic shape way down (with a good amount of work) via the Mikrotik.

I really like the Wireless stats Instant On gives at a glance. For example Jim’s laptop used 62GB of data today and of that 80% was streaming video. You can block categories, set time based policies and set client max bandwidth limits. For example (we use this one) no single client can use more than 25mbps of bandwidth— easy way to keep a device from hogging the pipe. Or “Mom&Dad” SSID is on 24x7 but “Family” SSID is off from 1am to 5am and has explicit content blocked.

All this to say I am a big fan of the Instant On gear. If you need a stable, reasonably priced solution for work from home or school from home, this is the best I’ve seen. And you don’t need to study anything to learn to use it. Powerful and incredibly simple. I manage it all from my phone.