Instant On - Wired

View Only
  • 1.  Switch Recommendation Existing Installation

Posted 06-29-2020 09:54 AM

I am not familiar with the Aruba Instant On 1930 Series, but I am in need of a new switch. I have 4 other HPE Officeconnect 1920s  185W POE switches deployed in two locations. One is a non POE versio so I need to switch that one out. Basically there is 2 switches per location trunked together.

At one location, I have two 12 port POE+ and 12 regular ports for a total of 24 ports, 185W Switches times 2.

The exisiting location I need to fix up has only one switch with POE and the other is non POE. However, I was advised it would be easier to have both switches be the same or atleast POE so there is some redundancy is I have trouble with one switch.

There is not a lot of information about the local interface for the Aruba IO 1930 switches. They seem to have a lot of technical specs, but their management is not as intuitive as other a Layer 3 switches....which this is claiming to be L2+ insteadof Layer 3?

All Web GUI? No SSH or CLI? similar to the HPE Officeconnect 1920s

I just read a thread suggesting that the management was cloud or local, but not both? Or that Cloud management does not have the ability to backup configurations.

Thank you so much for any advice.

• 2.  RE: Switch Recommendation Existing Installation

Employee
    Posted 06-30-2020 04:05 PM

@Jarvar I responded to your question in another thread about this.

• 3.  RE: Switch Recommendation Existing Installation

Posted 06-30-2020 04:46 PM
    @GThiesen
    Thank you for your reply. I just didn’t want to take over that other persons thread. Is this the main place to get support? Or is there another location? I have seen some mixed information. I know it’s not a fully manageable layer 3 switch, but it’s layer 3 lite or layer 2+ in the same fashion as the HPe 1920s?

The reason I am asking is because I have set up a couple dental offices using the HPE 1920s with 24 port half POE+ (12). Each office has two switches, but one is a half POE switch and the second is a non poe switch. I am doing some work now to relocate their equipment and also virtualize and compact their equipment. I want to replace the non poe switch with something atleast POE+ so I was looking at the Aruba IO 1930.

It’s nice to have all ports be poe+ capable, then when someone plugs a poe device onsite I can detect and manage it remotely. With the hp, they have to plug it into the correct port or I have to reroute the patch panel on location.

It looks like a fairly new switch.
    Any plans to add dhcp server functions?
    SSH and or CLI functions?
    Is instant on cloud completely hosted by Aruba?
    Eventually the ability to backup configurations and update firmware via the cloud?
    Or do we have the option to self host like Ubiquiti’s Unifi Controller?

Also is this a lifetime warranty? 1 year or 90 day phone support and then chat and online forums afterwards? I’ve seen it mentioned different in various locations.

Thank you so much for your help.

#Unifi
    #hpe1920s
    #ssh
    #backups
    #poe+
    #Cloud
    #cli

• 4.  RE: Switch Recommendation Existing Installation

Employee
    Posted 06-30-2020 06:53 PM

@Jarvar No DHCP server features,SSH or CLI as this is targeted at the SMB market. The cloud is hosted by AWS and no backing up as it is stored in the cloud. If you use the Local GUI we have a primary and secondary config for backup when doing upgrades.

Aruba Instant On Limited Lifetime Support provides 24X7 phone support for the first 90 days and chat support for the entire warranty period. Community support is included for the life of the product. You can purchase additional 3 or 5 yr support if needed.

• 5.  RE: Switch Recommendation Existing Installation

Posted 07-02-2020 10:17 AM
    @GThiesen I found a pdf document with the different warranties for hpe and aruba products. It looks like the Aruba Instant On 1930 warranty is the same as the HPE 1920s. Lifetime hardware NBD replacement warranty. 90 day 24/7 phone support and lifetime online and chat support.

Another thing I have been seeing another version of POE++ which is something like 60-70 Watts. I know the 1930 can do none, 15 or 30 depending on what was required. Ofcourse its dynamic up to 195 or 370. Does it have the ability to go 60-70 Watts per port if the device requires?
    Thanks,

Jarvar

• 6.  RE: Switch Recommendation Existing Installation

Employee
    Posted 07-02-2020 11:10 AM

@Jarvar take a look at this FAQ for Instant on warranty.

https://community.arubainstanton.com/t5/Instant-On-Guides/Aruba-Instant-On-Warranty-and-Support-Services-FAQ/ta-p/960

The 1930 only supports IEEE 802.3af and 802.3at power that can deliver up to 30W per port. IEEE 802.3bt is not supported for Class 5 and Class 6 on the 1930 switch.

• 7.  RE: Switch Recommendation Existing Installation

Posted 07-05-2020 10:08 PM

@GThiesen 

Just wondering about the noise. I saw somewhere it could be 60DB since the POE versions have fans. Is the fan a smart fan that speeds up and slows down based on load? or is it running regular all the time? This is going into an office closet and would prefer to have it as quiet as a possible within reason.

Thanks.

• 8.  RE: Switch Recommendation Existing Installation

Employee
    Posted 07-08-2020 05:24 PM

@Jarvar The fans run regular all the time.

• 9.  RE: Switch Recommendation Existing Installation

Posted 07-08-2020 06:00 PM

Thanks @GThiesen 

I don't know if the Data Sheets are correct but I pulled this from their PDF after posting.

"Energy-efficient cooling
    Includes variable speed fans operating only at the speed
    necessary to maintain operating temperature to reduce excess
    noise and power consumption. "

https://www.arubainstanton.com/files/DS_AIO_1930SwitchSeries.pdf

I have the JL64A sitting in a box waiting to be setup so I guess I will find out soon enough.

Probably wouldn't know but are the HPE 1920s and 1930 Aruba configuration files interchangeable? Would be pretty cool if they were.

Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.