Instant On - Wired

Expand all | Collapse all

1930 - Allow all VLANs on a port?

• 1.  1930 - Allow all VLANs on a port?

Posted 19 days ago
    Hi folks,
    I have a simple question the documentation couldn't answer: How do I allow all VLANs on a port?

Other vendors / models have a way of doing this, like
    • using a directive like permit vlan all
    • using PVID 4095
    • using a "general" mode for the port
    Unfortunately I wasn't able to find a solution for a locally managed Aruba 1930.

Thanks in advance,
    Dom

------------------------------
    Dominik Gauss

• 2.  RE: 1930 - Allow all VLANs on a port?

Posted 19 days ago
    Unfortunately this is not possible in the way you describe. You will have to select each VLAN in the VLAN memberships menu and assign to the port 1 at a time. I believe if you are using cloud management there is a tick box to check the VLANS on that port which is quicker but still no way of assigning all VLANs to a port in 1 click that I know off.

TerrenceT Tibbs

• 3.  RE: 1930 - Allow all VLANs on a port?

Posted 19 days ago
    Just found this from another user on this forum, probably the only solution currently.

I haven't found a way to do this on the web interface. 

If the amount of VLANs justify the workaround I'd
    • download the config
    • manually edit it 
    • and upload it again
    A port config sample for my 1930 looks like this:
    interface 20
     switchport general allowed vlan add 10-16 tagged 
     switchport general allowed vlan add 17 untagged 
     switchport general pvid 17 
    !
    Cheers, Dom

Dominik Gauss

TerrenceT Tibbs

• 4.  RE: 1930 - Allow all VLANs on a port?

Posted 19 days ago
    Thanks for quoting myself, but this solution doesn't work for my needs.
    Allowing all VLANs also allows VLANs the switch isn't necessarily aware of.

Dominik Gauss

• 5.  RE: 1930 - Allow all VLANs on a port?

Posted 18 days ago
    Terrrible

TerrenceT Tibbs

• 6.  RE: 1930 - Allow all VLANs on a port?

Posted 16 days ago
    Hi folks,

We recognize the shortcoming and have an update planned to allow assigning ports/trunks to a range of VLANs.

Thanks,
    Ben

Ben E Seligson

• 7.  RE: 1930 - Allow all VLANs on a port?

Posted 16 days ago
    Ben,

What's more alarming is that Aruba are probably if not the biggest name in SMB/Enterprise and you are making basic mistakes missing out "essential" options for everyday use on this line of switches. It' seems that from general opinion on social media and this forum that there isn't a lot of talk that is positive about this switch and for good reason. I don't know if Aruba even care but to continue to be competitive in this market you have to stop making these mistakes. The days of trusting that anything HPE release will be fine have gone which is a shame. Honestly with a brand as strong as HPE and ARUBA you should be all over the SMB and large homeowners radar with a product that has the firmware finished and thoroughly audited before release. On a positive finish it would be nice to see the 1930 come back with console port and CLI as your competitors, who I won't mention have these options at the same or cheaper price and are no longer years behind in the software or warranty department.

TerrenceT Tibbs

• 8.  RE: 1930 - Allow all VLANs on a port?

Posted 15 days ago
    Thanks Ben, good to know.

But please also make it possible to strictly allow all VLANs so we can pass packets for VLANs the Aruba doesn't know.
    And if at all possible please give me a CLI - I've never been a friend of web GUIs and a CLI gives me automation capabilities which a web GUI does not.

Thanks,
    Dom

Dominik Gauss

• 9.  RE: 1930 - Allow all VLANs on a port?

Posted 15 days ago
    Dom,

Are you saying that when we configure a port for a Trunk as in CISCO Trunk a traditional port with all Vlans from switch to switch or switch to Server the Aruba doesn't see any of the tags? and will pass anything tagged or untagged?

TerrenceT Tibbs

• 10.  RE: 1930 - Allow all VLANs on a port?

Posted 15 days ago
    Terrence,

allowing all VLANs means exactly that: Allowing all tagged and untagged packet - whether or not the Aruba is aware of a specific VLAN ID.

Example: Aruba knows VLANs 1 to 10
    If we allow all VLANs on a port we would also allow packets for all other VLANs, i.e. VLAN 11 to 4095 (minus the last few internally used ones)
    What is connected to the actual port has to be VLAN aware, of course, otherwise this would be meaningless

Dom

Dominik Gauss

• 11.  RE: 1930 - Allow all VLANs on a port?

Posted 15 days ago
    Dom,

Apologies when I meant all Vlans I presumed in the set range e.g. 10-200. I now see what you are saying, as without tagging each vlan to the port there is no other way to quickly do this until they update firmware.

TerrenceT Tibbs

• 12.  RE: 1930 - Allow all VLANs on a port?

Posted 15 days ago
    Ben, this is great news, because the lack of this single feature has really been a deal-breaker.

The very fact that you are reading and responding to the forum sentiment is encouraging.

• 13.  RE: 1930 - Allow all VLANs on a port?

Posted 15 days ago
    Ben,

Do we have dates for the release?
    Looking at your previous rollouts you only have 4 in 18 months.
    1 in the early to mid part of the year and 1 around September and the same the year after over the last 18 months.
    This is crucial to know before we deploy a whole network of these. I have limited time literally days before we have to make a decision and currently it looks like the unit we have will be going back to the vender and we will be moving to another brand completely which after studying the documentation first will do these basics tasks in there GUI.

TerrenceT Tibbs

• 14.  RE: 1930 - Allow all VLANs on a port?

Posted 13 days ago
    The switches still offer very good value for the money. Everyone always clamors for ever more bang for the buck, I know, but these are competitive "value-line" switches just as they are. When they do add the firmware feature upgrade for the GUI functions, especially VLANs, I would strongly consider buying another one. But I wouldn't buy one based on estimates or reassurances in a community forum. Ubiquiti showed everyone how that works out.

I always consider that what I see is what I get. Take it or leave it. If I hav only days to make a decision, and a mission-critical configuration element is missing for my proposed use, then that is a foregone conclusion.